Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

VTSAX @25.04% of portfolio

with 4 years to stop working and start medicare, do you think the above weightage should be higher or can some moneys be moved to some other large blend fund to make a little extra?

Comments

• edited December 2014
    @dicksonL

---VTSAX has a 5 year annualized return of 16.08%
    ---Lg Blend funds 5 year average return = 14.27%
    ---Best of the LB bunch 5 year return = 21.8%
    ---Worst of the LB bunch 5 year return = 3.8%

What other LB fund would you choose, and based upon what?
    Not knowing your other holdings, there isn't a method to make any comment.
    Not knowing your feelings about risk and reward; whether you lean towards conservative or moderate allocation doesn't allow for a viable comment.

Lastly, are all of your holdings within a 401k, IRA's or ???

M* large blend returns list

Regards,
    Catch
  • I think I have at most probably around 4-5% in one holding.
  • @catch22: Thanks for the response. For your queries
    1. I have not thought of any LB as yet. 2. other major holdings are PRHSX=18.3%, vpccx=14.8%,prwcx=13.0%, and vcvlx=9.4%, rest around 5% each. 3. no bond funds
    4. SS+freelance work may cover 60% of need before taxes. Thats why I am essentilaly in equity funds. mid/small was at 67%, half of which was moved to VTSAX on reaching 60 ( 1+ years ago)
  • @catch22: my holdings are both in taxable and IRA and monitored daily in M*. 401k is in a separate prudential acct with no ticker.(resembles S&p500 and amounts to 40% of the portfolio) and not included in my daily monitoring/M*portfolio manager-because of no ticker)
  • Looks like your holding the "nuts" with V. & tr Price, plus 25% in "the" major index fund, You gotta be doing great, why change now?
  • @tampabay: Thanks for the query. I looked for some suggestions of LB, since the course corrections may not be possible once I retire. If nothing is coming up, then I will keep adding to these, till I retire in 2018.( current overall ER ~.34)
  • @dicksonL
    You note that you monitor your holdings; and though some may consider your holdings aggressive (equity rich), the fund choices, IMO; are very decent choices.
    Yes, there is likely overlap in some areas; but as our house currently prefers, the funds are U.S. centric.
    I wouldn't change anything; and maintain VSTAX for the large blend.
    You mentioned a course correction related to retirement. You would be able to replace any of these funds, yes? Except perhaps PRWCX, which I recall is closed to outside investments.
    Take care,
    Catch