Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Paul Merriman: Why Vanguard Total Stock Market Isn’t The Best Fund In the Fleet

TedTed
edited December 2014 in Fund Discussions
FYI: For investors who want everything wrapped into a single package, Vanguard’s Total Stock Market Index fund seems a reasonable way to access U.S. large-cap blend stocks.

And there's plenty to like about Vanguard Total Stock Market Index VTSMX, +0.64% : Low expenses, massive diversification, low turnover and of course — no sales load.

But this fund falls far short of its "total market" title. In fact, the fund gives investors only a small part of what it takes to diversify a portfolio into the best asset classes. This is no small matter, since that diversification accounts for more than 90% of an investor's likely return.

Regards,
Ted
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-vanguard-total-stock-market-isnt-the-best-fund-in-the-fleet-2014-12-03/print

Comments

• edited December 2014
    yeah, quite the misnaming.
  • edited December 2014
    "Best" is a relative term...don't you think? I may think i'm the BEST golfer in the group but others think otherwise, Opinions mean little, performance speaks
  • MJG
    edited December 2014
    Hi Guys,

Indeed "Best" is a relative and elusive term. It depends.

It depends on the comparison standard; in this instance a simplistic 60/40 equity/bond mix with only 2 holdings. More importantly, it depends on the selected timeframe.

I did a quick analysis using Portfolio Visualizer for three other starting times: 1985, 1990, and 2000, each ending in December 31, 2013.

The referenced. "Best" portfolio did deliver superior returns for the 1985 and 2000 starting periods. However, the simple 2 holding portfolio generated a better outcome for the 1990 starting time. Study timeframe always matters.

Also, the simple portfolio produced its outcomes with slightly less volatility (standard deviation) for all periods examined. The "Best" portfolio achieved its enhanced rewards with more risk at the margin. Nothing new here.

Best Wishes.
  • Best is not elusive, relative or subjective at all once you set the category and criteria properly. Plus this headline was the work of a headline writer; you coulda put quotes about the adjective. It's just got a lameass misleading name. Not the only fund and ETF out like that, esp from Vanguard.
  • I was not aware Mr. Merriman ever used the work "best". The only terms he seems to know are "terrible, crash, beware," and other negative terms. I stopped reading his column a while back and don't miss it one bit.
  • Bob, you may be thinking of Paul Farrell, not this Paul; Paul F. is the "apocalypse now" guy.