Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• MJG November 2014
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How To Win The Loser's Game: Excellent Video Presentation

FYI: Most of what we see and hear about how to invest comes from either the fund industry or the financial media – both of which have their own agendas. This landmark documentary is an attempt to redress the balance.

Nine months in the making, How to Win the Loser’s Game aims to provide ordinary investors with the information they need to achieve their investment goals. It includes contributions from some of the biggest names and brightest minds in the investing world.

It’s being released in ten weekly, stand-alone parts, followed by the full-length, 80-minute film. Please share these videos with family, friends and colleagues, and help us to build a better, fairer and more transparent investment industry for all
Regards,
Ted
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2014/11/how-to-win-the-losers-game-full-version/print/

Comments

• Hi Ted,

Thank you for the excellent reference. The video presentation is superb.

This summary presentation of the academic investment material is professionally done and is outstanding. The invited video guests and their opinions represent the top-tier in the investment field, both from an academic and a practitioner perspective.

Both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the material. I suspect you knew that would be the case, and simply baited the hook for me. You won. Regardless, many thanks.

It doesn’t appear that your posting attracted much interest from the MFO regulars. I suspect this is at least partly due to a Confirmation bias.

The factoid, repeated several times in the video, that approximately only 1 % of active mutual fund managers succeed in bettering their benchmarks over extended timeframes, must surely dampen the enthusiasm and support for such portfolios. There is a well documented behavioral bias whereby folks refuse to even examine empirical data that refutes their beliefs and practices.

I recommend that MFOers visit your excellent Link, however, with a single caution.

The video was sponsored by Barnett Ravenscroft Wealth Management, an English not-for-profit firm. Some members of that organization appeared in several video segments without acknowledging their involvement in the project. I’m curious, and perhaps a little suspicious here, with regard to the incentives given what must have been substantial video production costs.

My Best Wishes.