Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Suggestion re. Est. Distribution Thread

edited November 2014 in Technical Questions
The discussion board post re. estimated distributions for MFs in 2014 now has over 100 entries and over 600 views. I would expect the number of views to only grow in Dec., as investors make final decisions re. tax loss selling and/or look for the ex-date for making new/additional investments, but only if they can find the thread. At some point, we're gonna have most of the estimates captured, and if there are no new entries for several days then the post is gonna move rapidly down the board and out of sight.

Would it be possible to lock this post to the top of the board, as an Announcement, until Dec 31 (or whenever), so that the thread does not "disappear" for new, or infrequent, visitors?

Comments

• @heezsafe: Shadow has been doing a great job on fund distributions and should have a seperate page for detailed information with no comments.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • A narrowed list with the most current estimates, no comments, would be super. (Some, such as Vanguard, have updated estimates at various times and the earlier links go to 404.)
    Thanks to Shadow for undertaking this and other tasks for MFO.
  • Hello,

One can book mark the thread and, with this, retrieve it regardless of how deep it might get buried in the stack of post. I did this and if I need to reference it I just click on my bookmarks and bring it up. In addition, I am linking a site below that one can look up yearend capital gain distributions by fund family.

http://www.capgainsvalet.com/search/?appSession=169106752968734

I hope all have a grand day … and, most of all “Good Investing.”

Old_Skeet
  • edited November 2014
    @Ted That could work. However, if "one" were to scroll down all 4 pages (and headed for a 5th soon), "one" would note a goodly number of other contributors in addition to Shadow, i.e. it has been a collective effort. If these "comments" were eliminated, it would all fall to Shadow, and I think he carries quite a bit of water already (as do you). Why not lighten his load--- the power of the group?

@Old_Skeet That is a good suggestion, but poses 2 challenges: (1) in order to bookmark a thread, one first must be able to find the thread, and (2) if one can find the thread, bookmarking it for continuing use is far too obvious and effective a solution, and therefore must be eliminated from consideration.;)
  • @heezsafe: If Shadow is willing, he and he alone on a seperate page that he alone can access could track fund distribution. In my opinion too many cooks can spoil the broth, leading to confusion and errors.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited November 2014
    @Ted

I am willing, but not sure how to do that. Please provide the instructions on how to do it and I will attempt it. Everyone's efforts contributed to the final product.

Thanks.
  • @The Shadow: E-Mail David and ask him if you can have a seperate page solely for fund diatribution which would appear under Categories.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted

I sent an email with a link of this thread for his consideration.
  • Yep. More info soon. David
  • edited November 2014
  • edited November 2014
    ok, ok, ok, I see what Ted and IE were getting at now. Forget the locking in as Announcement idea; that still leaves everyone the now unwieldy task of scrolling thru page after page after page to find the fund they're looking for. All that has yet to come in will be but a trickle. Yes, the time is ripe to separate and consolidate.

@The Shadow. It would entail a lot of copy and pasting, but you could alphabetize as you worked your way thru it. If you and David can settle on a style/format, it could end up being kind of a classy display (and, I suspect, greatly appreciated). Not to mention, the perfect excuse to escape a tiresome family dynamic, if present: "Aunt Mildred [you crazy bat], I do love ya, but I got ob-li-ga-tions; and time is of the essence!"
  • edited November 2014
    @heezsafe

We are working on something. One thing to consider in that locking it no one else will be able to add to it (i.e. Pinnacle Value Fund, Satuit Funds, Westchester Capital (Merger Fund) have not posted anything yet). While there are a number of funds listed I am sure there are some that have not been included. That is why other's contributions have helped gather the amount of funds listed.
  • If it's a choice between leaving it as is (a-jumble yet useable) or instigating an autoimmune arthritic process from overuse of the Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V fingers, then by all means leave well enough alone. But if you see better possibilities, and you think you'd enjoy doing it, then I'd be willing to give you a little hip-hip-hooray whenever you need one.
  • edited November 2014
    Duplicate comment deleted. Cloud went oopsee on first save attempt and I thought it hadn't taken.
  • @Accipiter

So you figured out how I found so many company's mutual fund distributions announcements.
  • Could a Google task bar be used to search within the thread? As an example, I type in TRowe Price and that comment would be specified.
  • Ctrl-F on each page.
  • if it were me and I wanted to find out distributions.

I would call my company they have the most up to date info that may not be reflected. Or I would take my fingers to the google web site and spend one minute to search for the family or fund I wan interested in.

this may also help someone ... if not, my suggestion is to google and type.

http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/17354/google-for-estimated-distributions-links
  • @Accipiter
    I watched your test pass through the site. And yes, with a list as you had posted; the handy-dandy Ctrl-F would do the job quickly.
  • For the Apple users out there, it is Command-F instead of Ctrl-F.
  • TheShadow said:

@Accipiter

So you figured out how I found so many company's mutual fund distributions announcements.

I figure you weren't using Bing:)