Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

For Some Stock Pickers, Worst Showing In 10 Years

FYI: The pain keeps getting worse for stock pickers.
Just 18% of portfolio managers who focus on large-capitalization stocks are beating their benchmarks so far this year, according to research by Bank of America Merrill Lynch. That’s the worst showing for large-cap managers in a decade.
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/11/19/for-some-stock-pickers-worst-showing-in-10-years/tab/print/

Comments

• My not very profound comment is that at least in the case of a taxable large cap account the case for index funds is pretty compelling. Who wants to pay taxes on capital gain distributions especially involving short term trades
  • so far this year...
    It is important to look the performance or compounded return span over a full market cycle, I.e. 2008 to present. YTD return is another form of performance chasing.
  • edited November 2014
    In retirement now the chief reason I have so much with the Yackts is the comparatively shallowness of their dips, this year and historically, vs SPY and the rest.

I also do wonder how much longer DSENX's secret rotational (?) sauce is going to work.

Otherwise I would be all in SCHD, 'tis true.