Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

RNCOX River North Core Op

edited November 2014 in Fund Discussions
Does anyone own RNCOX (River North Core Op?)

I have owned it for 3 years and am trying to decide if I should fold it into another fund. I am consolidating and was considering putting it into PRWCX (T Rowe Price Capital Appreciation) , or FPACX(FPA Crescent). I currently already own all three funds.

One of my concerns with RNCOX is the cost of owning it. The expense ratio is 2.22%

Comments

• I believe it's worth noting where the 2.22% cost comes from. I believe a good percentage of that quoted number is the cost of the underlying CEF's and ETF's
  • What would be your rationale for keeping it and paying such an exorbitant expense ratio?
  • I swapped it a year or so ago for DSENX and haven't looked back. Aside from the expense ratio, the managers are running more and more assets under this strategy in different funds, so I doubt they'll maintain their past outperformance. And a cheaper, balanced fund such as the ones you list, brightorange, would probably do well too.

That said, it's hard to argue with RNCOX's performance -- you certainly shouldn't be feeling any regret over this investment and if you decide to hold it, perhaps to avoid capital gains, you're probably okay.
  • @Brightorange: As jlev pointed out the addition expenses of underlying funds in Fund-Of-Funds gets a thumbs down with me on RNCOX. I suggest you look at list for U.S. News & World Report that I have linked.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/rankings/moderate-allocation
  • Thank you expatsp!

I actually already own DSENX in a small position. I will probably fold my RNCOX into it. I am very intrigued by the concept behind DSENX. I am hoping it performs positively over time.

Ted, I checked out the U.S. News & World Report rankings. I sometimes forget to use their great site. Thanks for reminding me! I have been interested in the Bruce Fund (BRUFX) for a while and may decide to invest in it as well. I already have FPACX. I will inherit an account from my father in Wellington, so will eventually have that someday. I think that's enough moderate allocation for one person.:)
  • @Brightorance: Add to VWELX from time to time and hold forever !
    Regards,
    Ted