Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Retirement Isn't A Pipe Dream--And Here's How To Make It Happen

FYI: The idea of retirement is scary to many, especially those without a traditional pension. But at last week's Bogleheads meeting -- which gathered 250 fans of Jack Bogle, founder of low-cost index-fund-focused mutual fund company Vanguard -- investors focused on how to make it to retirement.
Retirement is possible, said the consensus. Not easy, but possible. Here's advice from 11 mutual fund managers, authors, financial advisors and ordinary people about how you can save enough to quit.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.thestreet.com/print/story/12933449.html

Comments

• Retirement is over rated...investing to stop working is great!
  • Sir John Bogle, you magnificent b------, I read your book.

The answer was known before I even opened the link. Good advice that most of us knew already.
  • ""Live below your means and build a nest egg," he advised. "It's certainly not easy with today's incomes and a weak job market." But it's the only way, he said."

Great quote, JohnChisum! I can see George C. Scott on that ridge, with a big silvery-toothed smile..... I wonder if that one actually came from "Ol' Blood & Guts" himself?
  • TB, umm, what does that mean?
    Retirement is over rated...investing to stop working is great!
    from Wikipedia:
    Retirement is the point where a person stops employment completely. A person may also semi-retire by reducing work hours.
  • edited October 2014
    Retirement is a programed life style, "stop working" because you have enough money, has nothing to do with "retirement"
    ie you might quit work at 35yo after you have made your first $5 million, does that mean your retired? or are you doing other things besides working?
    Picture "retirement" is that the 35yo?
    Stop working is not "retirement"
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Retirement means to stand down from a planned work schedule or position.
  • I owned my own business I didn't have a " planned work schedule or position" was I retired?
  • TB, you made up your own definition. I guess that is okay for you, but don't try to sell it as fact. You didn't have a position or working schedule as a business owner? Owner was your position. You woke up every day and did what needed to be done to make the business successful. That was your schedule. Another change of definition I guess. I see a pattern to your posts.
  • Mikey:Did you get that from "Wikipedia" or what is your source? Yes I make up my own definition of "retirement" and yours is quite different from my "stop working years", I guarantee you, and that is a "fact"