Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Blackstone Seeking $13 billion for a New Global Real Estate Fund.

Due to the huge success of its first in this sector, Blackstone wants to open another fund. Global real estate has been a hot sector this year.

https://www.pehub.com/2014/10/blackstone-to-seek-13-billion-for-global-real-estate-fund-say-sources-reuters/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+pehub/blog+(PE+HUB+Blog)&utm_content=FeedBurner

Comments

• @John Chisum: I saw this same story on Bloomberg, but did not link it because the new vehicle is a private equity fund not available to the general public.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited October 2014
    Long BX (which is rather volatile, as are most private equity stocks), which will spin off the advisory business next year.

http://www.blackstone.com/news-views/press-releases/details/blackstone-to-spin-off-financial-advisory-business
  • edited October 2014
    I missed the private equity part. Still, this sector has been performing very well and there are a number of funds that one could invest in to participate. I hold ARYVX as one example.

• edited October 2014

I missed the private equity part. Still, this sector has been performing very well and there are a number of funds that one could invest in to participate. I hold ARYVX as one example.

I also own BPY (another MLP, so it does result in a K-1), which would be a pure play on real estate. It's Brookfield's spin-off of its real estate holdings. It is basically a go-anywhere global vehicle that can invest public (stake in GGP) or private (and an increasing amount of private, opportunistic transactions, such as the purchase of the Revel in Atlantic City the other day for 110M vs the 2.4B original cost) and has holdings in offices, retail, apartments, hotels and industrial.

Blackstone (BX), Ted's KKR (KKR) and others are fine choices for general private equity exposure, but you have to be willing to deal with the volatility. The yields are often good/very good but not consistent.