Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Don't Bet Either Way On Market Volatility

TedTed
edited October 2014 in Fund Discussions
FYI: I’ve written extensively about the volatility exchange-traded products, like the iPath S&P VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX | A-47) and the C-Tracks Citi Volatility ETN (CVOL | D-49). I’ve written about how you have to have perfect timing for investments in these VIX futures products to work. I’ve written about the hows and whys of the triple-digit run in the VelocityShares Daily Inverse VIX Short Term ETN (XIV).
Regards,
Ted
http://www.etf.com/sections/blog/23585-dont-bet-either-way-on-market-volatility.html?tmpl=component&print=1&layout=default&page=

Comments

• Somehow this reads as:normally XIV looks like a good thing to buy, except when you'd expect it to be. Would ZIV overcome backwardation in the short term section of the curve?
  • edited October 2014
    I was wondering how many times this guy was going to say "I've written"?

Edit: I posted this comment in the CNBC relevant thread. Somehow it showed up here. Disregard.
  • "Backwardation." Don't you BLASPHEME in here.;)
    Yup, best to have a plan and stick with it. Those products scare me. No way.
  • edited October 2014
    This white paper from river park seemed like a pertinent reference. Haven't digested it all yet myself.

Just quoting @Ted's link @Crash.;)