Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

parsing suggestion - attention chip and accipiter

Suggest moving all 0-response / 0-discussion posts (meaning no or 1 response after 1 day or some such threshold) to an Inactive / Low-Activity folder, leaving all else as is maybe.

You can set criteria and nomenclature differently of course.

There also could be a Concluded / Nearly Concluded folder for those lively but no activity for 2 days. -- ?

Just housekeeping and basic forum hygiene, to shorten the looong list now that the site is even more of a success than prior.

Comments

• Sounds like a good idea to me.
  • I've been asking for something like this for a long time!
  • Sounds like a good idea. Lots of threads get lost at the bottom of the queue.
  • This is the best idea I have heard anywhere, anytime for a long time. WTF didn't I think of it before? I will stop lobbying for "ignore" feature if we do this.

David R Moran..... :SMOOCH:
  • OK,OK... before we get all excited here remember that the general setup is pretty much dictated by the abilities and limitations of the underlying Vanilla forum software. It's my belief that that software is pretty much a plain-vanilla (!) setup, but that there are a bunch of sort-of plug-in modules which can also be used to customize the thing. Let us hope!
  • edited October 2014
    Note to David Moran- I suggest that you edit/change the classification of this thread to "Technical Questions"... That's more likely to attract the attention of Chip and the powers-that-be.:-)
  • I did! I mean, I think it is. Not so showing to you?

Thanks for compliments; seemed obvs. I am sure I missing interesting stuff as this vast bucket. Do not know the site-structure capabilities of the SW, of course.
  • I am not sure how this would work.
    1. Automated, or does a human have to do the moving of posts?
    2. Would posts toggle back and forth as they became threads, then threads without further responses for 24 hours? (What would happen to long-running threads with occasional bursts of silence, such as the "What are you buying/selling/contemplating" threads?)
    3. Pretty easy to game the system by adding a follow-up post rather than editing an original post, e.g.

But let's try *something.*
  • edited October 2014
    Informal Economist says: "Pretty easy to game the system by adding a follow-up post rather than editing an original ..."

That was my first thought. And folks would seem to have a right to comment on their earlier posts if something "new" comes along that they want to call attention to. We could hope however they wouldn't abuse that right!

* An additional thought. The proposal might actually encourage better participation. If you read a good post, rather than just moving on, you might want to leave a comment in order to keep that particular thread active.

Appreciate the efforts by many here to make this a smoother operation.
  • TedTed
    edited October 2014
    @MFO Members: Sign me up for davidmoran's suggestion. I'll go one better, if there are no comments or views within a twenty- four period delete the post and save some bandwidth.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • It seems like a promising idea, but I'm not sure how easy or difficult it might be to implement. I'll try to reach out to Accipiter for his judgement.
  • edited October 2014
    Accipiter: I think Davidmoran's suggestion was a lot simpler and that he envisioned a far simpler automated mechanism. I saw nothing in his proposal remotely related to links. How is it that new comments now automatically bump a post to the top, but that the same technology couldn't allow posts with 0 responses to drop into an inactive folder after 24 or 48 hours?

Trying to differentiate between "primarily link" and "primarily commentary" would seem a near impossible task - though I'm sure we have some here up to the challenge. And not all links are created equal. Some are damnd good.
  • Yes, I meant nothing fancy, just 2-3 folders, for dead and winding down. Reversible too, ideally. No links, no moderation maybe, as automated as feasible. Dropping 0 or 1 response after 48h alone would be a start.
  • So, if this were to be done Mas discussion movement to another Category.

Do you want only Fund discussions with zero comments moved to a "Yet to be named orphan Fund Category".

or do you want Off-topic discussions with zero comments to a "Yet to be named orphan Off-topic discussion Category" as well.

what if you can't have reversal (meaning if someone comments in the orphan category it won't be moved back to original category.) , if it is too complex or prone to problems, can you live with the above.

Since it is too prone to problems to automate, an admin would need to do it, so how often should it be done, every day (if an admin can get to it) and what lag time.

Movement of discussions that are 2 days old without comments.
    Hank said: How is it that new comments now automatically bump a post to the top, but that the same technology couldn't allow posts with 0 responses to drop into an inactive folder after 24 or 48 hours?
    because it is totally different process. I'll keep it short. But if you look at the code, you will know what I mean.
  • Yes, meaning please do whatever is easiest for you and your colleagues, and name folders as you see fit. If a deadish category suddenly has a lot of comment after 3 days, so be it. Rand's pernicious 'influence' today, for example:)

If problematic, we will live with whatever, I am sure. Everyone is most grateful.

2 days with no comments can be the criterion for now, yes.
  • OK - Thanks. I get the sense that the program in use doesn't have the capacity to move these out automatically (or back into active status automatically) as we had hoped.

So, as Davidmoran said ... do what's easiest for you, Chip & the others whose efforts we all applaud.

I think we'd be pleased with something based predominantly on the issue of whether or not members have commented on the post, signifying they find it of higher interest. Keeping extraneous issues & judgments out of the equation is what we're hoping for.

Thanks!

• Sounds good to me, Hank & David. Thanks for the input.
  • edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2014
    Mo,

There has never been a discussion relating to funds that I have seen that when a user asked a question or made a discussion that was not a link-only discussion that wasn't commented upon immediately the first day. So, I think there will not be a problem there.

I don't think the changes will mitigate anything for anyone, unless they are perusing fund discussions beyond the first to fourth page or so. (depending upon whether it is 24, 48 or 72 hour selection). but it will certainly help if you want to look at discussions that actually have comments (the meaning of a discussion i.e. comment interaction) in them beyond the first page,

Certainly the movement of discussions could be reduced to 24 hours, but then it depends how often chip or david have time to run it. Setting the discussions to check based on post date is no problem at all.

I believe, there is no way every one will be happy. other than to have an option to hide discussions that have 0 comments selectable by the user. And still they will have to click through pages. Or to designate a links only category. I just can't conceive why people think a links only category marginalizes link-only discussions, and it can easily be viewed.
    Everyone thinks if there is a links only category there won't be any comments and no one would look at them. Why would people care what category it is, you can still view them and they can still be discussed. It just has the benefit of being benefical to everyone thru compatmentalization, despite the feeling that this is somehow politically incorrect.

All of these were voted down by one person or another.

I did spend a bunch of time writing these programs to move discussions with zero comments, so I hope they get implemented, simply because people with opinions should have posted here, based on my last comment, if they had concerns.

I don't know if David Snowball perceived any problems, he was trying to make people happy based on user suggestions.
  • I think this is a very good idea and my guess is this is going to work just fine.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.