Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Open Thread: What Are You Buying/Selling/Pondering

2»

Comments

• Thanks for your thoughts, Scott. Some of the majors look good to me too.
  • edited October 2014
    Thanks man.

OAK seems to have a pretty extraordinary record on dividends, no?

Sure, never guaranteed. But did I not read somewhere that the salary of all its employees is essentially based on the dividend of OAK?
  • edited October 2014
    Charles said:

Thanks man.

OAK seems to have a pretty extraordinary record on dividends, no?

Sure, never guaranteed. But did I not read somewhere that the salary of all its employees is essentially based on the dividend of OAK?

Oh, absolutely. I just had to note that it may really jump around from quarter to quarter - all of the private equity MLPs are inconsistent in their dividend payments, unlike most of the energy MLPs. Wasn't aware of the tie-in details to dividends, but saw that in a BBerg article this AM.

"Marks, Karsh and Vice Chairman John Frank don’t collect annual salaries from Oaktree, instead participating in stock dividends and carried interest, or the firm’s cut of profits from investments. Marks got $105 million from stock dividends declared in 2013 and Karsh received $148 million in dividends and carried interest, according to Oaktree’s annual report filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission in February. Frank took home $46 million in dividends, carried interest and his share of a profit-participation plan."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-09/oaktree-will-pay-wintrob-at-least-5-million-as-first-ceo.html?cmpid=yhoo
  • edited October 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2014
    I am hoping the 2100 comes to be for a year end close for the S&P 500 Index as forecast by Birinyi. This would equate to just short of a 12% gain from current levels of 1878. Which is indeed possible should forward earnings estimates materialize as anticipated.

Anyway, I now have my marker on the bet line that it will as I bought again today. With this I have recently bought at the 1970's, the 1920's and the 1870's. My next buy step is the 1820's and then beyond that at the 1770's.

Keep in mind that year end mutual fund capital gain distributions are expected to be on the heavy side this year. Since, I take all my distributions in cash I have decided to put these anticipated distributions to work early and use the forth coming distributions to restore the cash position within my portfolio used to make these purchases.

With my average cost on amount invested currently at about 1920 and should the Index reach the forecasted 2100 year end closing mark then this will equal about a 8.5% gain. Should I buy again at the 1820's then this will lower my cost on amount invested to about 1895 and increase the gain to 10.8% should the 2100 mark be reached. With another buy at the 1770's and if the 2100 year end closing mark be reached then this would equate to about a 12.3% gain.

For me it is risk on for the traditional fall stock market rally. After all, the way I look at this is that I am using market money derived from investments to make more market investments which from my thinking is kind of clever by feeding the market from a market product that generated the cash that funds these special discounted purchases.

Old_Skeet