Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Meridian Small Cap Growth

Thanks, David, for the great write up.

A couple questions about the fund though (anyone can feel free to answer).

Why did Meade and Schaub leave Janus? From the commentary, it looks like Arrowpoint was founded by Janus alums. I'm just curious as to the reason for the jump.

Also, what's the deal with they legacy shares? MSGGX. Is there a way to purchase this class? The fund is new; was this class ever actually available? Thanks all!

Comments

• Hi, Paul.

I've never known a manager to be open about why he or she left a firm; the most I've ever gotten is "excited to explore new possibilities at this point in my career." I'll note, in passing, the striking number who offer veiled criticisms or complaints about funds that had gotten unmanageably large and corporate folks who weren't willing to close them.

I've just sent a query to Meridian on the Legacy class's function. It was, so far as I know, never open.

David
  • And so they tell us: The Legacy share class "is open specifically for existing Meridian shareholders. For example there are well over 25,000 direct retail, advisor, and institutional shareholders in Meridian Growth (Meade and Schaub's small/mid cap growth strategy), Meridian Contrarian and Meridian Equity Income funds that have access to the Small Cap Growth Legacy share class. Our intent was to encourage existing shareholders to stay within with Meridian family, especially during a time of investment advisor transition."

Hope that helps!

David
  • It's too bad that the ER for MSGAX is so high (1.60% at Vanguard). I used to own their Janus fund with a much more reasonable ER.
  • David, thanks for the reply. I'd just hate buying a higher fee share class if I know there is a cheaper one out there.
  • I just added some additional money to this fund. It's up about 9% this year, despite the hit small cap stocks have taken. I invested when it first opened, taking advantage of the legacy shares lower fees for long-term Matthews investors.

I'm a value fund investor, but I thought I would give these guys a chance. So far, so good. MVALX has been good to me over the years.
  • Major home runs the last ~9 mos.