Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Chip, David or the person in charge of the sign in department

Despite the statement "If this is your first time viewing the New site. Please logout and login again. You will only have to do this once." it seems like I have to sign in every thirty days or so. What gives?

And yes I do have the little keep me checked in box checked.

Comments

• Mark- it's my impression that this is normal for this site. I seem to recall Chip mentioning that the log-in needs to be renewed every 30 days, and that's the way it works for me, also. The "first time" message that you quote could be worded a little more precisely, for sure.
  • I also had to sign-in this morning. Happens about once a month for me, usually around the first. As a security move I'd cleared my browser history yesterday, which might account for the odd timing of it.

The process is controlled by the Vanilla board software and I've always understood that the rhythm and wording of this particular prompt is built into the software itself. I'll ask Accipiter, who handles most of the Vanilla programming for us, and Chip what they might add.

David
  • edited September 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I noticed it started to be strict on the login each time I visit. If I click on the discussions link that reloads the page without clearing me off. I just keep the tab open on this site. Running Safari.
  • edited September 2014

the cookie expires 30 days from the second you initially signin even if you click keep me signed in.

if you sign in at sept 26 8:09:30 - it will expire exactly 30 days later to the second.

of course if your browser deletes your cookies upon closing of browser, or you delete your cookies, it will sign you out upon cookie deletion.

whichever comes first 30 days or until your cookies are deleted.

Maurice said:

I clear my browser automatically every time I close the browser. As a result, for me the banner message is on continuously. I don't even notice it anymore. So don't consider this a complaint or request to do something.

OJ said:
    > The "first time" message that you quote could be worded a little more precisely, for sure.

its probably worth me deleting the message entirely. Since it was based on when the site was moved to a new web host.

Done: deleted.
  • Glad we got that cleared up. Don't mind signing in every 30 days and deleting the message ends the confusion.