Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

PDI

BWG
edited September 2014 in Fund Discussions
Last evening, I had posted that I was looking to add to PDI on a dip. The NAV performance of the fund has been good (I think better than the open-ended version PIMIX) and increases in the discount had represented good buying opportunities. This morning, with the news about Gross, I was anticipating buying PDI on a pullback. However, I have had a chance to rethink this more and am holding off on any buys of PDI. A big reason is that Gross is one of the biggest holders of PDI. I don't know whether he will now liquidate his holdings in PDI but his previous purchases had often acted as a floor on the market prices of PDI.

According to Yahoo, he holds 1,195,534 shares of PDI
http://biz.yahoo.com/t/48/5911.html

According to M*, the largest institutional holder of PDI is Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, with 912,132 shares.
http://investors.morningstar.com/ownership/shareholders-major.html?t=PDI&region=usa&culture=en-US&ownerCountry=USA

GLTA

Comments

• Interesting point. I do think that Gross is so woven into Pimco that there is kind of a Jenga aspect to this, where pulling too many Gross-related blocks might have real implications on other Pimco funds and the markets themselves.
  • From Bloomberg:

Pacific Investment Management Co. is likely to name Daniel Ivascyn chief investment officer of the $1.97 trillion bond firm after Bill Gross left to join Janus Capital Group Inc. (JNS), according to a person familiar with the matter... Dan Tarman, a spokesman for Newport Beach, California-based Pimco, didn’t immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment.

So I wonder whether he will have enough time to dedicate to PDI?...
  • I bought more before this dip, sigh, and am going to add to it as well, fwiw.