Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Help with Actively Managed funds suggestion for the 401K Account

I have a 403(b) account at Fidelity with all fidelity only choices and another Employer contributed Vanguard based retirement account.

From 2015, The fidelity account will be moved to Vanguard by the employer, I wanted to send some additional fund suggestions in addition to choices below to see if they will consider adding more choices, This Vanguard account has target funds and index funds.

Bond Funds
PIMCO Total Return Admin-----------PTRAX

Balanced Funds (Stocks and Bonds)
Vanguard Wellington Fund Inv--------VWELX

Domestic Stock Funds
Perkins Small Cap Value L------------JSIVX
T. Rowe Price Instl Large Cap Growth---TRLGX
Wells Fargo Advantage Discovery Instl--WFDSX
Dodge & Cox International Stock-------DODFX

I have large allocation in VWELX and DODFX and consider rest of the choices not that great. On fidelity side I had large allocation in FLPSX, FSICX, FNMIX and FSCRX, That money will need to move to above funds.

Please suggest funds preferably with low cost and group managed(instead of single star manager) suitable for retirement account that I can send as suggestion to the Employer.

Comments

• My 2 cents and probably not what you want to hear. In 401k go with index funds.
  • I.

Bond Funds
    PIMCO Total Return Admin-----------PTRAX

I would suggest PTTRX in place of the Pimco Total Return share class listed above. Expenses much lower, and it's the same fund. And a good core bond fund by Gundlach and also one with Dan Fuss, although there is a significant succession issue to address in the latter.

Definitely put the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund and the Vanguard Total International Stock Market Index Fund in there. And the Vanguard REIT Index fund, and Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund, and a Vanguard short to intermediate term corporate bond index fund.

John Bogle would be very happy.
  • I agree. Keep it simple. Low cost index funds.
  • I don't have a vanguard account. Generally 401k's are setup with plain jane, giant sized funds (in terms of AUM) (both of which generally go against MFO's core values), but here are a few suggestions:

MDISX
    ACRNX
    YAFFX
    Anything from Matthews (but I don't think they are often offered in 401'ks. only an anecdotal thought so don't read more into it.)
    PRHSX
    PRSVX
    You can look at Litman Gregory funds if you want multi-manager
  • Since you're moving to Vanguard, why not try to get into some of their active funds?

VDIGX, any of the Primecap funds, VASVX, VGENX, VGHCX. Maybe avoid those that rely too extensively on the Vanguard subadviser model.