Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Firefox Browser Unable To Access MFO

IE Browser works fine, but Firefox won't let me sign-in since early this morning , after several attempts. Both browsers worked fine yesterday.
Ted

Comments

• Oh Lord, not again! OK Ted- I'm using a Firefox variant with no problem, but that doesn't prove anything one way or the other. Is it possible that you set or "unset" some function of the Firefox browser the last time that you used it? Particularly with respect to the storage or use of cookies?

A potential problem is that a browser's cookie files are usually retained even if you were to replace your copy of the browser with a new copy. If the problem is rooted in a corruption or accidental change to those cookie files, replacing the browser won't help, because it will just try to use the existing cookie set.

Different browsers, in this case IE and Firefox, typically keep separate and discreet sets of cookie files, so that if those files become corrupted on one browser the other will usually continue to work just fine, which seems to be the situation that you are describing.
  • Old_Joe:I made no changes. My name and password come up Ok, but when I click on sing-in nothing happens
  • Do you allow pop-ups?
  • Ummmm, Firefox just issued their next version, version 32.0. Since I have automatic update, it was installed almost before I knew it. Some sites are "tending toward the slow side" for the download, so far, while some sites are fine.

Under Help, select Troubleshooting Information, then look carefully down the list generated and see if anything comes out at ya. Changes from prior version are noted. e.g. I see in the graphics several times the following:
    "Blocked for your graphics driver version. Try updating your graphics driver to version 7.1500.1000.1666 or newer."
    Unfortunately, in my case, my computer was put together by OEM [HP] so I cannot simply update via Intel/Nvidia/Windows; I'll have to contact HP to see if any customization was done and, if so, what driver update to use.

The only thing I've noticed with the MFO sign-up window is its pop-up is delayed somewhat, as is the sign-in once I've issued the command.
  • 11:36 p.m. Eastern Time here on Friday night. Using Mozilla Firefox, always. If there was an update, I didn't see it. Anyhow, no trouble at all accessing MFO here.
  • @Crash, it might help if you post which version you are running post update?

It's possible Ted has something else running that might be a conflict.
  • OK... Here you go: .....oops, sorry. Wonderful Bill Gates and his wonderful Windows software make finding that simple piece of information impossible to find. I do get the auto-updates from Mozilla. So it has to be the latest version, I'm using. When I just surfed over to Mozilla, they can detect---and tell me--- that I'm using the latest version. But then they don't specify its label or name. I wonder how much in the way of human thought is required to leak out of one's ears before they become good at working with computers and start to "think" like the a machine? ......HONESTLY!
  • So much for that. Thanks for checking Crash. Hopefully Ted figures it out.
  • Ted,

Get Chrome.
  • edited September 2014
    >OK... Here you go: .....oops, sorry. Wonderful Bill Gates and his wonderful Windows software make finding that simple piece of information impossible

It has nothing to do with windows or Bill Gates on how to find version.

google could tell you that "how do I find firefox version"

the about option in Firefox, tells your version

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/956507

if you don't mung things up with your browser by choosing wrong settings and don't disable javascript or block cookies, all browsers work if they are recent versions (MSIE has its own issues with older versions).

Firefox and Chrome work fine.
  • Precisely what I meant, above: One has to go elsewhere (google) to find a thing that firefox itself ought to be displaying and telling me about ITSELF.
  • I guess you think you made a point, then?
  • @Ted

It sounds like you might be letting Firefox save your password (so that it fills in automatically). If that's true, somehow the currently saved password might not match your actual password.
  • It is interesting that when I clicked on that link I got the "Page Not Found" message. Maybe I have to run Firefox to see the page?

Most normal programs have the version # on the "About" page.

Maybe it's time to switch browsers?
  • I'm not going to answer a post that keeps getting edited. I'm out