Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Oaktree Capital on Risk/Howard Marks' Memo

edited September 2014 in Off-Topic
Memo to: Oaktree Clients
Re: Risk Revisited
© Oaktree Capital Management, L.P.
All Rights Reserved

To move to the biggest of big pictures, I want to make a few over-arching comments about risk.
The first is that
risk is counterintuitive

The riskiest thing in the world is the widespread
belief that there’s no risk

The second is that
risk aversion is the thing that keeps markets safe and sane

When investors are risk-conscious, they will demand generous risk premiums to compensate
them for bearing risk. Thus the risk/return line will have a steep slope (the unit increase in
prospective return per unit increase in perceived risk will be large) and the market should reward
risk-bearing as theory asserts.
The third is that risk -the possibility of loss-
often collides with negative events.

The fourth is that risk is multi-faceted and hard to deal with
. In this memo I’ve mentioned different forms
of risk: the risk of losing money, the risk of falling short, the risk of missing opportunities,
FOMO risk, credit risk, illiquidity risk, concentration risk, leverage risk, funding risk, manager risk, over-
diversification risk, risk associated with volatility, basis risk, model risk, black swan risk, career risk,
headline risk, event risk, fundamental risk,
valuation risk, correlation risk, interest rate risk, purchasing
power risk, and upside risk. And
I’m sure I’ve omitted some. Many times these risks are overlapping,
contrasting and hard to manage simultaneously.

At present
I
consider
risk control more important than usual. To put it briefly:
Today’s ultra low interest rates have brought the prospective returns on money market
instruments, Treasurys and high grade bonds to nearly zero.

This has caused money to flood into riskier assets in search of higher returns.

This, in turn, has caused some investors to drop their usual caution
and engage in aggressive
tactics.

And this, finally, has caused standards in the capital markets to deteriorate, making it easy for
issuers to place risky securities
and consequently hard for investors to buy safe ones.
Warren Buffett put it best, and I regularly return to his statement on the subject:
. . . the less prudence with which others conduct their affairs, the greater the prudence
with which we should conduct our own affairs.
Full Letter (16 pages)
http://www.oaktreecapital.com/memo.aspx

Comments

• I am always happy when someone does NOT define volatility as risk. Useful read. I have been thinking of investing in RNOTX, but didn't want another like RNDLX which seems to have the same objective using Marks instead of Gundlach.
  • edited September 2014

I am always happy when someone does NOT define volatility as risk. Useful read. I have been thinking of investing in RNOTX, but didn't want another like RNDLX which seems to have the same objective using Marks instead of Gundlach.

Marks remains invested in Gundlach, with Oaktree owning a part of Doubleline.

More on Oaktree: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-02/oaktree-said-to-seek-10-billion-for-distressed-fund.html

• How to find investments where the risk/reward has a positive skew? How to assess risk when it is not possible to measure even the variables you know must be in the equation, let alone the ones you know you might be missing? I find this essay to be one of the more challenging Marks has written. Perhaps it's because evaluating risk, where the rubber really meets the road, is a very counterintuitive cognitive exercise?
  • scott said:

I am always happy when someone does NOT define volatility as risk. Useful read. I have been thinking of investing in RNOTX, but didn't want another like RNDLX which seems to have the same objective using Marks instead of Gundlach.

More on Oaktree: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-02/oaktree-said-to-seek-10-billion-for-distressed-fund.html

WTF...Oaktree owns part of Doubleline? Are they having a friendly competition throught RNDLX and RNOTX and RiverNorth agreed to be the referee?
  • edited September 2014

scott said:

WTF...Oaktree owns part of Doubleline? Are they having a friendly competition throught RNDLX and RNOTX and RiverNorth agreed to be the referee?
    Oaktree backed Doubleline initially when Gundlach left TCW.

"Gundlach also found a respected strategic investor in Oaktree, a powerhouse in the distressed-securities market, which put up $20 million for a 22% stake in the new enterprise. Oaktree personnel helped DoubleLine set up back-office operations, a compliance department, an information-technology operation and a customized trading system. It was the ultimate leap of faith, as DoubleLine had virtually no assets under management.

Based on a conservative valuation metric popular in the asset-management industry—that a bond firm is worth 1% of assets under management—DoubleLine would be valued today around $450 million. Yet given the stickiness of its mutual-fund assets and some higher-fee hedge-fund and joint-venture assets, the figure could be as much as $650 million."

http://online.barrons.com/news/articles/SB50001424053111904706204578002340208278334