Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

David Winters Dumps Buffett Over A Soft Drink

FYI: David Winters, the investor best known for criticizing the executive pay plan at Coca-Cola Co., has parted ways with another key player in the Coke saga: Warren Buffett‘s Berkshire Hathaway Inc. Now the question is will Wintergreen Fund shareholders dump Winter's by selling their shares.
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2014/08/15/winters-who-criticized-coke-sells-berkshire-after-buffett-didnt-criticize-enough/tab/print/

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Why sell Berkshire? Just sell Coke. This whole saga is kind of ridiculous: I like Winters an investor, but not sure why he would think that his fund, which has about 1B in AUM and 4% or so in KO - would have any real influence on a company whose board is firmly entrenched. "He (Buffett) didn’t immediately comment on the Wintergreen sale Friday." Well, yeah. I'm sure Warren is not losing any sleep.

It's not that Winters shouldn't attempt activist investing or that Coke doesn't need to change, but there are battles that are a waste of time and energy and cost.
  • Sorry, can't help myself:
    "“Is there not one thing in your life that was worth losing everything for?"
    ---Sean Connery as Raisuli The Magnificent in "The Wind And The Lion."
  • David Winters gives decent interviews, but I have yet to be impressed by his performance at WGRNX, which continues to have underwhelming returns for a fund with an exorbitant expense ratio of 1.85% and AUM of $1.7B. He continues to be a poster child for indexing, such as ACWV. And among actively managed WS funds, I would definitely prefer the lower cost DODWX.

Kevin
  • An unsympathetic and disingenuous Man of La Mancha.