Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What is the best loaded funds - regardless of asset class?

Let's say one could buy them without the load, which do you guys like the most? Thanks!

Comments

• A load fund that comes to mind (although I believe there are institutional shares) is Ivy Asset Strategy. Not much else comes to mind at the moment - Blackrock Global Allocation used to be better.
  • edited July 2014
    Hi Paul,

I too, can buy some load funds at nav.

The ones that I currently own are as follows:

INCOME AREA: Fixed Income Sleeve: ITAAX, LALDX, THIFX, LBNDX, TSIAX & NEFZX … Hybrid Income Sleeve: AZNAX, ISFAX, CAPAX, PASAX, PGBAX & FKINX.

GROWTH & INCOME AREA: Global Equity Sleeve: EADIX, DEQAX & CWGIX … Global Hybrid Sleeve: IGPAX, CAIBX & TIBAX … Domestic Equity Sleeve: FDSAX, ANCFX, SPQAX, INUTX, NBHAX & SVAAX … Domestic Hybrid Sleeve: ABALX, LABFX, CFIAX, HWIAX, AMECX, DDIAX & FRINX.

GROWTH AREA: Global Sleeve: ANWPX, NEWFX, PGROX, THDAX, DEMAX & THOAX … Large/Mid Cap Sleeve: AGTHX, HWAAX, SPECX, VADAX, IACLX & BWLAX … Small/Mid Cap Sleeve: IIVAX, PCVAX & PMDAX … Specialty Sleeve: CCMAX, LPEFX & TOLLX.

I am not saying these are absouetly the best; but, perhaps you will find something among them that you might favor.

Old_Skeet
  • Wow, way more than I expected! Thanks for the ideas!:)
  • Old Skeet, have you looked at First Eagle at all? Pretty good company there, too.
  • Paul: SHRAX, Richie Freeman on of the top fund managers of all time.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited July 2014
    Yes, I have a good number of them on my watch list. However, for me to buy something new I'd be a seller of something somewhere eventhough I recently sold three funds MFLDX, JCRAX & KSDVX ... I am currently in a build cash mode. Also, a good number of the current funds I own are held in a taxable account ... and, I'd have capital gains to pay to make a good size reconfiguration. I own a good number of funds now ... and, there are those that say I have way too many as it is. Perhaps so ... Perhaps not! I plan to hold no more than fifty two so I could buy three new funds as I currently own forty nine. Perhaps a good pull back will be coming, as some say, and I'll do a little buying.

Old_Skeet
  • Another interesting choice. Thanks, Ted!
  • edited July 2014
    The only way the question makes sense is if you add...AND available to individual investors from fund marketplaces with load waived.

I used to think CVLOX was a good one. Contemplating...
    Initiated position in FEBAX
    Own BAEIX and BOPAX
    Then there are NABAX and NLSAX
    People have mentioned PVSAX

However, really, it's not question of "best one". It is question of does it fit into your portfolio. Also no point listing A shares when D shares available for PIMCO.

Personally I have decided to stay away from Thornburg. It's one of many "M* created" companies, i.e. they advertise heavily on M* and the only comment they can make about them is good or none.
  • edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2014
    Just say no to loaded funds.

Unfortunately, it remains an indefensible practice of the mutual fund industry.

Regrettably, even supported by M*.

Let's work to eliminate it.
  • Charles said:

Just say no to loaded funds.

Unfortunately, it remains an indefensible practice of the mutual fund industry.

Regrettably, even supported by M*.

Let's work to eliminate it.

Hear, hear.

• I agree it is crazy to pay a load for a mutual fund. There are always alternatives to every fund. But saying that, I notice that many(?) 'A' shares are load-waved at some brokerages. At least that is the case at Schwab. SGENX is an example.

The only load fund I truly would like to be in is TIBAX. I wish I could find a "like" alternative TIBAX. There are other share classes for this fund, but none are open to new investors. At Schwab, the A shares are open with load waved, but only to institutional accounts. Oh well...
  • edited July 2014
    MikeM said:

I

The only load fund I truly would like to be in is TIBAX. I wish I could find a "like" alternative TIBAX. There are other share classes for this fund, but none are open to new investors. At Schwab, the A shares are open with load waved, but only to institutional accounts. Oh well...

The CEF that's run by the same manager would be an alternative (GIM), which is currently trading at a 7.8% discount to NAV.
  • Thanks Scott, but GIM looks like an alternative to the Templeton Global Bond fund - not TIBAX.
  • edited July 2014
    MikeM said:

Thanks Scott, but GIM looks like an alternative to the Templeton Global Bond fund - not TIBAX.

Oh, duh. Was thinking of wrong fund and saw Templeton mentioned above/was reading quickly. A main alternative is Pimco's fund with the prior Thornburg managers, but given Pimco's turmoil and one of the managers departing, not that appealing an alternative.
  • edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've been intrigued by TEQIX or its advisor version MQIFX, which seems solid at accomplishing its goals (and a great owl)
  • Hi MikeM,

According to a test trade I just made, TIBIX appears to be available in Fidelity retirement accounts for a $500 minimum with a $49.95 transaction fee for the initial purchase.

Kevin
  • Thanks Kevin, but I'm in the middle of a roll-over to Schwab. I don't really understand "institutional" funds, but I'm thinking they are available only within 401k accounts, not an IRA(?). But I don't really know the rules. Was the account you tested a 401k?

When researching the fund on Schwab's website, the TIBAX version said it was open to institutional accounts only - load waved. I asked our local CS advisor if I was qualified for that with an IRA account and the answer was no.

• Mike, I tested traded in my IRA.