Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

4 Foreign-Stocks Funds That Aren't Scared Of Emerging Markets

Comments

• edited July 2014
    My only pure play in EM is SFGIX, too young for Morningstar to rate, according to their own requirements. It's 2.8% of my portf.... I have a great deal of overseas shares, though. SFGIX is not shooting out the lights, but I'm happy to see it doing better lately. I guess I am not surprised there's still a big chunk in Asia. Foster used to be at Matthews..... But--- are South Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore REALLY still EM? It has to be asked.
  • edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It is beyond me why Janus Overseas gets any positive commentary. It's at the bottom of the heap over the last 3 and 5-year period. While I understand it has chosen to load up on emerging market stocks, my guess is that very few folks who own the fund, and certainly those who bought it years ago and for some strange reason still own it, understand this fact and the huge risks that come with it. It's one thing to have a 10-20% allocation to EM stocks like ICEIX, which has a remarkable record since John Maxwell took over the fund. But Janus, with a very cloudy history anyway, is going a completely different route. Interesting that M*, which is so quick to re-classify some funds (often incorrectly), has kept JAOSX in the Foreign Large Blend category, when it has been heavy EM for quite some time.
  • "....Spitzer and later the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) also charged that major mutual fund groups such as Janus, Bank One's One Group, and Strong Capital Management and others facilitated "market timing" trading for favored clients.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_mutual_fund_scandal
  • edited July 2014
    Smith Barney's not there, anymore, either. Oppenheimer ate them?