Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

My fellow Americans, once again I say "Bend over!"

edited July 2014 in Off-Topic
We can keep shale gas, our new-found national treasure of inexpensive energy, mainly for domestic consumption. This would have the benefits of restoring some degree of industrial competition with the rest of the world, thus providing some additional employment for American workers, reducing our carbon footprint, and generally reducing costs to American consumers.

Or, we can export huge quantities to Europe or Asia, (sarcasm) providing a much-needed source of additional enrichment for the energy industry.(/ sarcasm)

But of course it isn't that simple: thanks to Russia's expansionist adventures in the Ukraine, there is a strong and understandable sentiment for making Europe less dependent upon Russian natural gas. It will come as no great surprise when our feckless congress begins to loudly shout for American energy exports to save the world from Putin. Anyone not in agreement will be painted as an enemy of freedom, democracy, and the American way.

Little or no discussion will explore the question of why Europe itself seems to be in no hurry to explore or exploit shale gas deposits there. That exploration is currently "on hold" until Europe is satisfied that fracking poses no great risk of environmental disaster. The general European attitude is, as usual, to let America take the chances and pay the freight.

This article from Reuters is interesting. "New French gas pipeline to offer Germany alternative supply". Really? Let's see now... if France doesn't allow fracking, there certainly won't be a lot of extra gas there. Oh, I see: the French are building new LNG terminals! Where do you suppose that gas is going to come from?

Comments

• edited July 2014
    "My fellow Americans, once again I say "Bend over!""

Surprised?

" It will come as no great surprise when our feckless congress begins to loudly shout for American energy exports to save the world from Putin. Anyone not in agreement will be painted as an enemy of freedom, democracy, and the American way."

Probably, but I think it goes beyond just congress.

"Or, we can export huge quantities to Europe or Asia, (sarcasm) providing a much-needed source of additional enrichment for the energy industry.(/ sarcasm)"

My various energy and energy infrastructure plays are happy about it. I'm guessing no one's seeing prices at the pump go down any time soon, or much relief from other various energy costs (electric, etc.) I do think that, while they've done very well this year, people are still kind of ignoring Canadian energy names with all the buzz around US oil.

"Where do you suppose that gas is going to come from?"

Take a look at Cheniere Energy.

https://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=LNG+Interactive#symbol=lng;range=5y;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=;
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • "Old_Joe, our administration calls it redistribution, not bending over."

That would depend on which end of the redistribution you are on.
  • edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • That's true. Democrats started calling taxes investments during the Clinton admin. It is all wordplay.
  • Maurice said:

scott, it would appear that others have taken a look at Cheniere Energy as well. The price has more than tripled since Jan 2013.

Old_Joe, our administration calls it redistribution, not bending over.

True. I was just noting the name in regards to Old Joe's discussion of exporting lng.
  • Two things.

First, What The Frack!
    Second, everyone please watch Gasland, Gasland Part 2 (can't find free link)
  • Repugnants or Demublicans, it's all the same.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/oligarchy
  • Note that I mentioned "our feckless congress". That includes almost all of the present incumbents, of all political persuasions.

@ Maurice- If it's to be called "redistribution", let's be clear on what is being "redistributed" and to whom:
    "Or, we can export huge quantities to Europe or Asia, providing a much-needed source of additional enrichment for the energy industry".
    Those of us, including myself (via GASFX), who stand to profit in some manner from gas fracking, should also realize that we are participating in the sellout of one of our last remaining national resources to the omnivorous energy industries of the world.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • From the article Maurice has included in his post: "However, in the long run, wind power is a zero cost renewable energy that has the potential to drop energy prices for all customers."

I'm in Massachusetts, too. Western Mass Electric Company is a thieving bunch of spooge-garglers. And where do my monthly payments go to, anyhow? Cincinnati? Dallas? The State AG raised hell with them for not doing the necessary maintenance work prior to the "Snow-tober" event a couple of years ago. We were without electric service for 8 days, as I recall. Scums. But guess what? There's a line-item on the bill telling me (every month) that I'm helping them to pay for what they ought to have been doing back then, as a matter of course. It's referred to on the bill as some sort of bullshit "AG litigation mitigation" crap.

As for zero-cost wind-power, eventually: do you think any of us will see the cost reduction----- EVER? Hell, no.
  • edited July 2014
    Maurice said:

We've spent a couple trillion in the last decade in the middle east and asia, in pursuit of trying to get people who hate us and want to kill us, to like us.
    Instead we are sending money, we don't have, to all corners of the globe, including Europe. You do know that we provide substantial contributions to the IMF, who is giving away money to Greece, Ireland and other European countries.

As a percentage, how much do you think the United States federal government spends on foreign aid?

If you are an average American, your number is 27%. You are also say that 10% is an acceptable level.

For FY2014, the United States budget was roughly $3.6T. If you look under the "Defense" heading of that chart, you'll find the actual number for non-military aid is $34.4B, or ~0.9% of the total budget. If you include military aid, the number jumps to $48.5B or $1.3%. To be fair, that number is up from roughly .5-.6% under the previous administration, but it goes for not only direct foreign aid, but also to funding our embassies and fees for the IMF, World Bank, and UN.

To the best of my knowledge the top five countries that receive aid are Afghanistan, Israel, Egypt, Iraq, and Pakistan, which in 2012 accounted for roughly 2/3 of all foreign spending.

I'm not sure where you get $USDTrillions -- unless you include the cost of our war efforts -- or that excessive amounts are going to Europe, when only Ukraine is in the top 20 recipients. People can argue in good faith over what the appropriate amount of spending is, but the current amounts are no where near what people generally assume they are.
  • darcey, hear!
  • See

http://www.examiner.com/article/a-pie-chart-every-american-should-get-to-know-as-republicans-cut-spending

~ 2/3 of spending is SS, DoD, Medicare/-aid, and debt interest flowing back to us MFO bondy types:). DoE is a bit over 1%, e.g. I'm sure darcey's figs on foreign aid are close.
  • edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2014
    No argument over any of that. In fact, I think it's made worse as the wars were mostly funded through supplemental bills and didn't appear in any budget.

If you want to balance the U.S. budget, you have to start with the 800 pound gorillas: Medicare and Defense.
  • Wikipedia on costs of Iraq, and a piece from the Center for Strategic and International Studies on the cost of Afghanistan.

I would imagine the cost of intervention in Libya was, relatively speaking, pretty small because we didn't put troops on the ground.
  • edited July 2014
    However, and not to prolong what is close but not yet turned into political pissing, only people who do not understand these things would want to 'balance the US budget', or even attempt same. *All that matters is debt as percentage of GDP.* All. Grow GDP, that's the ticket (and we are, a little). Moreover, now is a good time to increase debt, because we need to do so terribly badly (infrastructure, jobs) and because the cost is so cheap. I will not use the words left and right, but all of the scaremongering about the situation being like a household budget, and needing restraint and cuts, and the undeserving poor, and all that, is ignorant, uninformed crap: we self-deal and self-lend (mostly) to finance our work and our works, right or wrong. We are not drowning, hidden trillions, blah blah, and we will run out of money when, as someone pointed out, the NFL runs out of points. Some tax increases would be good, continuing to increase debt without accounting for it is bad, getting our affairs in order with more efficiency and fairness, all good. But debt and deficit are NOT the fear and the horrific storm on the horizon.
  • Infrastructure. Ya. Massachusetts ranks 46th out of 50 States for quality of roads. (Next time you tell me something, make it news!)
    http://wwlp.com/2014/07/04/mass-has-bad-road-conditions-but-good-teen-drivers/
  • But Crash, you have the Big Dig. Possibly the most costly of all infrastructure projects in thirty years or more. What more could you want?
  • >> (Next time you tell me something, make it news!)

? missing the point?

Nothing I posted was news in the slightest except to those who think balancing the budget is more important than anything. That's all. I drive in Mass. too. Truly awful. Not that much different from elsewhere.
  • Just to prove the point that more money does not make better roads, in the Seattle area where I come from we have the terminus for I-90 which had been left incomplete for years. When they finally did connect it to I-5, the cost was over 1billion per mile. Why, nobody knows.

Traffic sucks in Seattle and no matter what they do it will continue to suck. Geography is the main reason for horrible traffic there with the Puget Sound on one side and Lake Washington on the other of a narrow but fully populated land mass.