Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The most inclusive, broadbased U.S. equity ETF/index is ???

edited July 2014 in Fund Discussions
Ok, we have money in VITPX in a 529, but can not buy this in any of our retirement accounts.
VITPX holds 3,300 U.S. issues, whereas VTI is also broadbased, but with only 1,700 or so holdings.
OPPS....my bad, don't know why I noted 1,700 holdings. rjb112 is corrrect with the higher number (3,677)noted below.
Any suggestions for a very broadbased U.S. equity etf/index holding many issues across all cap sizes.

Growth, value or whatever type is not a deciding condition. Broad market cap exposure is the deciding factor, and of course "cheap" all that much better for E.R.

We've looked through a list at etfdatabase; but perhaps you have a favorite for very good reasons.

We have access to just about whatever via Fido brokerage.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Catch

Comments

• Does SCHB fit your requirements? Can't beat that ER.
  • VTI has 3,677 stocks. It's the same portfolio as VTSMX
  • edited July 2014
    5 basis points expense ratio for VTI. The Admiral Shares also have 5 basis points expense ratio, with $10K minimum to get in, VTSAX
  • Thanks John and rjb112. rjb112, don't know why I noted the lower holdings number for VTI....thank you for noting the proper number.
  • If I remember correctly, SCHD had about 2500 holdings. That 0.4% ER is really low.

Sounds like you have some answers Catch.
  • edited July 2014
    Fidelity Spartan Total Mkt Idx Advtg FSTVX
    6 basis points ER, 3,337 stocks. I mention that because you said you have Fidelity Brokerage, so you can do this one with no transaction fee.
  • edited July 2014

Does SCHB fit your requirements? Can't beat that ER.

That one has 1,998 stocks.
    He posted "Broad market cap exposure is the deciding factor".

Of course, 1,998 stocks stills gives you very broad market exposure, but not nearly as many small and microcap stocks as the other funds I mentioned, VTI or VTSAX, or the Fidelity offering, FSTVX

By the way, the Fidelity offering I mentioned has a $10K minimum. For a slightly higher ER, you can purchase another share class with a $2,500 minimum: Fidelity Spartan Total Market Idx Inv FSTMX
  • I read it wrong. Thanks for that correction rjb.
  • The way Vanguard does things is that you have the Investor share class, typically with a $2,500 minimum to get in and a slightly higher ER. Then you have the Admiral Share Class, often with a $10,000 minimum to get in, and a lower expense ratio. Then the exchange traded fund, with the same super low ER as the Admiral shares, and of course traded on an exchange, so no minimum
  • edited July 2014

I read it wrong. Thanks for that correction rjb.

You bet JohnChisum, you're welcome