Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Recent changes in Asia

Recently I sold my shares in MAPTX. I still have some general emerging market exposure but this was my biggest EM fund and concentrated in Asia.

My reasons; first I have noticed inflation getting a bit higher not only in the Philippines but it has been noted in Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore. Other countries are also experiencing rising prices. Second, property values are starting to fall some mainly in Singapore. The Philippines is still having increasing property valuations. Australia is also having a good market. China is the big question mark here and their property values are having some troubles. The banks are starting to ease lending rules and we all know where that leads.

Thirdly, China is still exerting their muscle in the region. As long as they can get away with this they will continue. The militarization of Japan, Korea, and the Philippines with a lot of help from the US may slow down their attempts.

So it seems from just these examples that maybe the best of days have gone by. I still have holdings in MAINX and MAPIX. They have done well so far this year.

This is only my opinion and observations. I know there are a number of Matthews holders here. If anyone has their thoughts that would be appreciated.

Comments

• Thank you for the information - I find these sort of "on the ground" observations highly useful in making decisions. I still have holdings in five Asia region single companies and some assorted funds, but am not planning to add to any.
  • Thanks John- it's always good to hear from the "boots on the ground". You mentioned, in another post, about the "surprise" aggressive moves lately from China in the South China Sea. You might enjoy reading "Asia's Cauldron: The South China Sea and the End of a Stable Pacific" (by Robert D. Kaplan, published 2014). No surprise to him- he calls the whole thing with respect to that geographical area.
  • MAPIX is my largest holding. MAINX is 3.5% of total. MAFSX is another, a bit over 6% of portf. Also still holding the first fund I ever bought: MACSX. That's the only one NOT in a tax-sheltered retirement account, and it's just 2.5% of total portf. I've not been to Asia/Philippines since 2003. I like to read what you send about what's going on in the region. (I can't imagine that the truce will hold between the gov't and the Islamists in Mindanao-Jolo. Eh?) After a tepid period in which the funds seemed to stall, they have lately gained traction, it seems to me. I'm not a trader, and I would not exit MAPIX and lock myself out (closed right now) , nor MACSX.

Regardless of the reports from everyone and his brother out of Asia saying the Middle Class is growing and spending--- it's not happening for my wife's side of the family over there. "Work your fingers to the bone, what do you get? Boney fingers." (Hoyt Axton.) Not many of them can FIND a job, either. In the Phils, you're born into money, or else you're screwed. And wifey's family WOULD be screwed, if she didn't sometimes send gobs of cash over there. But SOMEONE is spending and growing those economies over there. My funds are doing pretty well. MAFSX is the exception. I bought it to replace MJFOX and it's not gone anywhere. Pretty concentrated portfolio, doing a very good job of concentrating on staying in Neutral, it appears.
  • China urges U.S. to be more objective ahead of key meeting,scheduled for next week
    China and the United States need to "plant more flowers, not thorns" in their relationship and Washington needs to have a more objective view about China,
    China would stick to the path of peaceful development and shoulder its international duties, Xi added.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry is also attending, and will likely have to address Chinese concerns over what Beijing views as Washington's support for Japan, Vietnam and the Philippines over their territorial disputes with China.

China's increasingly assertive tone in the disputed East and South China Seas, as well as its rising military expenditure, have rattled nerves in the region and in Washington.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/03/us-china-usa-idUSKBN0F807E20140703

A Seeking Alpha Author's Take on a Long Held Goal of the Russian-Sino World View.
    "Saudi Arabia currently exports more oil to China than to the United States and as already discussed, China is actively working to conduct all of its international energy purchases in renminbi. When we consider that China is now the Kingdom's largest customer, it is easy to see how China may be able to exert more influence than the United States"

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2293025-could-china-and-russia-be-trying-to-kill-the-petrodollar-standard
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.