Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Quantopian

Anyone heard of this before? It strikes me as somewhere before intriguing and a terrible idea.

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Haven't you noticed? Neologisms (esp. nonsensical) are all the rage lately.
    Because weather? "Your algorithms, trading live," indeed; sounds like a terrific strategy for self-vaporization!
    Judge: I accept your guilty plea, but could you at least tell us why you did it?
    Computer: Oh, that's easy; once I had his algorithms, the human was no longer essential to the endeavor.
  • As an aside, I actually have a friend that works there.

I wouldn't worry about it -- using the platform requires a good amount of technical sophistication (i.e. programming) that most people don't have.
  • I've been reading some of the codes, they're a bit above my python knowledge, but thats my weakest language I actually have experience with. One of my worries would be that someone would publish a popular piece of code and then have a personal code that front runs it.