Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mutual Fund Stocks

At first blush, all of these fund-related stocks would seem to be promising as long term investments:

TROW

BEN

AMG

MORN

Any thoughts, feelings, insights or inspirations about any of these?

Comments

• edited May 2014
    I'd say no to M*. TROW and BEN are particularly interesting (and have demonstrated long-term success and relative consistency) and AMG is compelling. I just think the one issue becomes willing to have a long-term viewpoint, as any 2008-like period is going to cause a sizable drop in these shares.

• What about expanding the theme to include the stocks of Charles Schwab, SCHW, discount broker TD Ameritrade, AMTD, and other places that mutual fund aficionados frequently go to purchase funds.....
  • edited May 2014
    rjb112 said:

What about expanding the theme to include the stocks of Charles Schwab, SCHW, discount broker TD Ameritrade, AMTD, and other places that mutual fund aficionados frequently go to purchase funds.....

I own Intercontinental Exchange (ICE), which owns the NYSE, among a number of other global futures exchanges.

I'm curious if TD Bank still owns part of TD Ameritrade, or if it's an entirely separate entity. If TD Bank has a stake in TD Ameritrade, then owning TD Bank may be a less volatile way of exposure to TD Ameritrade. Schwab is interesting.
  • (Financials. I recall holding a CIBC credit card when I lived up North, in a previous life.) http://online.wsj.com/articles/cibc-earnings-beat-expectations-raises-dividend-1401362964?tesla=y