Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Cliffs Natural Resources Inc CLF

@Scott.

CLF at 52 week lows.

What's up? Or, down I guess.

Comments

• edited May 2014
    "Cliffs Natural Resources' (CLF -3.3%) announcement that it will cut capital spending by $100M in 2014 isn't helping shares today, and RBC analysts think CLF could breach its debt covenants.CLF must maintain a total funded debt/EBITDA ratio less than 3.5 and an EBITDA to interest expense ratio for the trailing four quarters of at least 2.5 - so far so good, but RBC says its current 2014 China iron ore price forecast is $119.25/metric ton, and if the average spot price for 2014 is $114.30 or below, CLF will trigger its total funded debt/EBITDA covenant."

http://seekingalpha.com/news/1773753-breach-of-covenants-possible-at-cliffs-despite-cost-cuts-rbc-says

I've considered (on more than one occasion) the convertible preferred shares (CLV), but I don't know, just not really interested in trying to play potential turnarounds and am more interested in boring, more consistent names. If I was going to look at Cliffs, the only thing I'd look at would be the preferred, I wouldn't be interested in the common (but that's just me.)

If anything, I'm looking to trim a little from some names and really don't have much interest in buying anything right now, even favorites like railroads.

Edited to add: I'm kinda interested in DSW (the shoe chain) down nearly 30%, but I dunno, I'm not that eager about owning it for a trade.