Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Correction on healthcare coverage

In an earlier thread I mentioned that I'd bought health care coverage by way of the Affordable Healthcare Act that was HSA eligible. Well, though it was sold to me as such, the insurance company sent me a new card today and announced that the insurance was not HSA eligible after all. Rather irritating!

Thought I'd tell you about it lest anyone waste their time looking for an HSA plan on the basis of my experience.

Comments

• I remember that conversation because I didn't think ACA plans were HSA eligible especially because of pharmacy benefits using copay than a high deductible which is a requirement for HSA.

Did they give a reason why for this reversal? If I remember correctly, you had a high enough deductible for HSA in the plan but had low deductible net after Fed subsidies for your "poverty level" income.

My guess would be either that they closed the above loophole to consider high deductible eligibility for HSA post subsidy OR your pharmacy deductible was low and not tied to medical deductible to qualify and it wasn't low because of subsidies.
  • They didn't give a reason, only saying that the HSA on the old card was a mistake and here was a new card without the HSA on it. No mention that their online offering said for months that it was HSA eligible LOL! They did mention that if I wanted something HSA eligible to call them but that it would not be eligible for ACA subsidies. Possibly you might be able to get something HSA eligible with lower subsidies, but I'm not sure.

The irritating thing is that the plan has been active since Jan. 1 and I've already made the HSA contribution. I'll have to call up the plan administrator tomorrow to see what can be done about that.
  • If they misrepresented, you should be able to switch to this plan w/HSA and the same deductibles with subsidies you had. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for 94% cost sharing benefits for your income level. Same as what you had.

Anthem Silver DirectAccess w/HSA - cbey OH

The plan you had cbfb doesn't seem to be offered in OH at all under ACA according to this site. Anthem is a really screwed up company. They seem to have been selling plans under the ACA before being approved by the exchange/state or in some cases without even contracting with Doctors for their new plans so you can land up enrolled in a plan no one accepts!
  • Thanks for that cman. As you say, Anthem is completely screwed up about this. I recall that they were using different codes for these policies than the ones that were showing on the government healthcare site. At the bottom they show what they say are the other plans available from Anthem, but none of those codes are the code of the plan that I actually have! Possibly it's still the government and Anthem using different codes for the same plans. I'll see if I can get anywhere with them. Again, thanks.