Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Consuelo Mack's WealthTrack - Investing in Gold & Miners in Uncertain Times - Jean-Marie Eveillard

edited October 2011 in Off-Topic

Comments

• beebee
    edited October 2011
    Thanks Red,

I like JME's weightings...

70% equities...selective multi-national companies that have a global footprint...wide moat...selling at a discount...providing consumer staples (products/services) to the growing markets of the world.

Here are the top 25 holdings of the First Eagle Global Fund:SGENX

http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/holdings?t=SGENX&region=USA&culture=en-us

15% Gold and Gold Miners...in case of fire...global meltdown...A combination of (TGLDX & CEF) might work well here...deflation will hit both of these investments negatively...Maybe a little EDV as a barbell

15% Cash...in case of fire sales...Japan is a place where he feels company valuations are good...The dollar might actually do well if deflation continues

He didn't make any long term calls regarding a world that is showing signs of deflation/de-leverage/contraction...except short/medium term consumer staples...maybe utilities and healthcare as well

My two cents:

I feel the companies that provide inexpensive luxuries will do well in this environment. Consumers prefer a steak but will settle for a steak burger. We are better at modifying our habits than changing or eliminating them all together.

Thanks again for the link,

bee
  • Reply to @bee:

Hi Bee,

I think the miners are due for an increase due to a valuation rebalancing in relation to the price of gold. Rono has spoken of this at times. My holdings for mining companies right now:

Fidelity Select Gold (FSAGX)
    USAA Precious Metals and Minerals (USAGX)

I also like the railroads in this environment:

CSX and NSC

rw

• Reply to @redwing: One would really have to research the details of it, but Kansas City Southern rail has a preferred share which yields about 4.5%-ish.