Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Good? Not sure. Opium to feel good, yes. Classic Sonders.

As dependable as the bespoke guys to put a positive spin.
  • She's been right for a while, so too soon to criticize her. The true test will come if she turns bearish/cautious on the right time.

Sure, a strategist at a brokerage is probably going to lose her job if she tells the firm's clients to sell everything and go to cash, but she might have liberty to talk about "raising a little cash" or "rebalancing" etc. Then again, she might not have that liberty. We'll see!
  • I have posted this earlier
    Blast from the past 1999: lest we forget

She has always known on which side the bread is buttered. But over time she has become much better at putting small print for plausible deniability while the headlines spin so she cannot be nailed down as badly as the segment above. There is also the errors of omission. She will stay quiet than say anything when the indicators are negative.

Her spiel these days is more of a spin than a false narrative which makes her better than 99% of the talking heads out there but she is not someone I would depend on for getting a correct read of the economy or the markets, no more than the perma-doomers.
  • edited May 2014
    I'll also note that Sonders is a permabull, although it's a little less obvious/aggressive than maybe it used to be. I'll read what she has to say but I rarely find myself taking much away from it, it's usually just a collection of widely-known bullish talking points.
  • Cman, thanks for the link. I now fully share your opinion.
  • Schwab sends these commentaries out via email each month and while I usually don't read too much into them, I agree with the above that she has been correct on her assumptions.

Hulbert is a permabull too but his writings turn me off. More ego pump than anything.
  • Scott: my sentiment on Sonders is the same. Gotta love those secular bulls argument.