Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation fund to close to new investors

edited May 2014 in Fund Discussions
http://individual.troweprice.com/gcFiles/pdf/trcaf.pdf

From the May 1, 2014 prospectus (excerpt) link above:

...Purchase and Sale of Fund Shares
"Subject to certain exceptions, the fund will be closed to new investors and new
accounts after the close of the New York Stock Exchange on June 30, 2014. Investors
who already hold shares of the fund after June 30, 2014, may continue to purchase
additional shares."

Here is the Summary Prospectus with a 4/29/14 filing date with the same information:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/793347/000079334714000019/cafpta-may37.htm

Comments

• Wow. Good on TROW. Wife is in it, she'll be pleased.

Of course, you have to wonder what "subject to certain exceptions" means. Basically, anyone who opens a TROW brokerage account can buy as much PRWCX as they want?
  • edited May 2014
    Nice, in before the lock.
  • Thanks. Good to know.
  • As of April 22, 2014, the fund has assets totaling almost $20.14 billion invested in 289 different holdings. This fund is one of my all time favorites, if you interest get in now.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Ted said:

As of April 22, 2014, the fund has assets totaling almost $20.14 billion invested in 289 different holdings. This fund is one of my all time favorites, if you interest get in now.
    Regards,
    Ted

If memory serves, Giroux runs at least another $10B+ in clone funds or private accounts.
  • It's been on my watch list for a while. With this news I decided to make a small buy. Thanks Shadow.
  • edited May 2014
    That's the last fund I would have expected. I know it's grown very large. I recall 5-10 years ago a lot of the $$ from Catapillar's employees' pension fund came in. Tried to dig up the details on that, but can't for whatever reason. Do recall reading about it at the time.

Guess that's what happens when you have a great run like the fund has had. Recall same thing happened to DODBX nearly a decade ago - and if my fading memory is correct, that fund closed. Course everything blew up couple years later.:)