Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Who do you like for true "value-oriented", bottom-up balanced funds?

Preferably from smaller- or employee-owned shops?

I'm thinking specifically of bottom up shops who make allocations to stocks, bonds based on the value proposition of each opportunity set without consideration of, or projections about, market conditions. Also looking for shops that are comfortable investing throughout the entire market cap spectrum and aren't adverse to holding cash if nothing looks good.

Thanks.

Comments

• GLRBX, FPACX, MAPOX, JABAX, ICMBX. Then PRWCX. Some like BUFBX, others DODBX. I prefer the first five above all and have for many years.

Note thatif you own too many, though, you might as well go with AOR, or AOM, or 50-50 AOA and AOK and rebalance by selling whichever is higher each quarter, another good strategy.
  • David -- thanks; will have a look (am already in FPA).

The issue I think I would have in going with the ETFs you note (as I understand them) is that they do not reflect any value considerations with respect to the proportion of the portfolio allocated to bonds/stocks. My casual research indicates that a decent "bottom-up" value manager can do better than an indexed 60/40, 50/50 allocation over time.

Cheers.

• I would also consider FOBAX Tributary Balanced.
  • @ Shostakovich: Over analysis is paralysis, there a hundreds of excellent balanced funds, buy one.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Ted said:

@ Shostakovich: Over analysis is paralysis, there a hundreds of excellent balanced funds, buy one.
    Regards,
    Ted

Ted, I certainly don't need you muddying the waters here with logic, thank you very much.:-)

• GRSPX or BERIX for all cap? Though they might be overly defensive.

Like MAPOX, and they will hold smaller fare, but are careful with their bond selection. VILLX is growthier, but they claim to be fundamentals driven. Prof. Snowball has pointed out that PVFIX behaves an awful lot like a balanced fund at times, though no income there.
  • BERIX jumped into my mind as a conservative balanced fund. I think GLBRX is a good moderately balanced fund. Oakmark also has a balanced fund, I believe, that's a dependable shop.
  • If you are in FPACX (could not tell if FPA was an abbrev, the way this site mishandles, rightly, abbreviations), then go all in and leave it alone. You are obsessing. Romick is good. Others are good too, and I neglected OAKBX. But I left it, my own ocd, and went with the ones I listed. If you really believe in active mgmnt, then just do it.

>> My casual research indicates that a decent "bottom-up" value manager can do better than an indexed 60/40, 50/50 allocation over time.

Sure, if you can spot one, as with everything here.
  • ICMBX Is A Very Good Fund!!!