Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Unable to access Morningstar

I've been unable to access M* for last twelve hours (since 2 pm) on 3 different search engines--IE, Foxfire and Chrome. Each give the same message: unable to contact server. Is anyone else having this problem or is it my computer or computer skills (or lack thereof.) Thanks for your help.

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Ran into the same sort of thing with the Washington Post earlier this evening. One error message mentioned a malfunctioning internet Domain Name System (DNS). Seems to be OK now, though. Just tried M* for you- got in with no problem.
  • Just got onto M* without difficulty
  • I have problems with M* a lot while at the same time I'm able to access other websites in different tabs of my browser, so I know its not my service provider. Normally my problems only last for a couple minutes, but this has been happening for a month or more.
  • (told you it wasn't just us)

As a quick tech update, the changes we've made seem to have substantially increased our stability. After the start of the month we're also having Green Geeks move us to a more secure server, which should help with the waves of attacks we've seen. That will take us offline for an hour or so, but we'll pick a slow time and give folks lots of advance notice.

David
  • Friday morning and all is well with M*. Thanks for your responses.
    All it takes is patience.
  • M*, Washington Post, TDAmeritrade all had DNS problems for me yesterday.

I'm choosing to accept it as just a coincidence for now.
  • Maybe China (or more likely the NSA) is "coincidentally" trying out some new stuff.
  • Today, add MarketWatch.Com to the list of down websites from approximately 3:00PM CST to present 4:40PM CST.
    Regards,
    Ted

• I check "internet traffic reports" periodically just for fun. Some data for particular locations stays the same for long periods of time; so, I don't know how useful the data.

http://www.internettrafficreport.com/

OJ, is likely correct. The folks in Utah running a few tests.
  • I just had some trouble loading this site. Cleared up in ten minutes.
  • I hit the same DNS error yesterday. Russians? Uncle Vladimir?
  • May Day communists.