Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Market mood swings giv'en me investor mental whiplash

edited April 2014 in Fund Discussions

At 1pm, Thursday.......near a reversal of some sector numbers from yesterday, April 9, Wednesday

That's it, nuth'in more to note...........

IWM 112.57 -2.33%

IYR 68.32 -0.32%

HYG 94.33 -0.13%

VWO 41.65 -0.22%

VMBS 52.03 0.28%

EMB 112.56 0.56%

ITOT 84.50 -1.43%

IBB 223.44 -4.95%

LQD 117.88 0.31%

IEF 102.38 0.44%

Comments

• edited June 2014

Yogi - "It ain't over til it's over."
  • boring bond and not so boring credit portions of my portfolio are holding pretty well... pays to stay diversified... this thing is healthy for the market. too many people chased the same names. this will prevent bubble formation..fwiw
  • @fundalarm

Hi,

Our house is again playing more in bondland; ....so, far; so good. Equity down to 15% as of the end of February. Two largest equity are currently PRHSX and VSCPX and the equity mixes among FAGIX and LSBDX, in general; with a touch of equity inside of FRIFX.

Hoping all is well with you and yours.

Take care,
    Catch
  • beebee
    edited April 2014
    This whip saw seem to have something to do with low interest rates allowing the small guy to deleverage their personal debt (at reasonable rates) while these same reasonable rates have allowed speculators to access cheap money through margin accounts which has leveraged up hot sectors. Wondering if anyone is keeping track of these margin accounts as this correction unfolds? How about higher rates on these accounts?
  • all good, catch, glad to hear you're continuing with your proven movements. i don't do momentum or even slow momentum investing, but staying diversified has helped a lot. also, as i get older and wiser (or so i hope), daily noise doesn't affect me much. finally, being still employed and contributing fresh $$ to investment accounts each year is the most helpful. best to you and yours. fa
    catch22 said:

@fundalarm

Hi,

Our house is again playing more in bondland; ....so, far; so good. Equity down to 15% as of the end of February. Two largest equity are currently PRHSX and VSCPX and the equity mixes among FAGIX and LSBDX, in general; with a touch of equity inside of FRIFX.

Hoping all is well with you and yours.

Take care,
    Catch

• margin accounts are priced off the fed rate, so they will stay low for a while. debit balances (i assume that's what you mean by 'margin accounts') are being tracked and have been as of the week ago most elevated since 2007. so the current correction is most likely due to positioning -- you're right. for a fundamental investor not loaded up to the eyeballs on biotech and NTFX, this should be just noise. if the earnings, which started this week, really disappoint across the board, then there is something more sinister going on and might require different assumptions and position squaring. this is not my base case scenario and i am adding to equities today, if only on the margins.

fa
    bee said:

This whip saw seem to have something to do with low interest rates allowing the small guy to deleverage their personal debt (at reasonable rates) while these same reasonable rates have allowed speculators to access cheap money through margin accounts which has leveraged up hot sectors. Wondering if anyone is keep track of margin accounts as this correction unfolds? How about higher rates on these accounts?

• Thanks fa..."debit balances within margin accounts".

here's FINRA's statistics:
    finra.org/Investors/SmartInvesting/AdvancedInvesting/MarginInformation/p005923