Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• It would be nice if Morningstar would screen these lists for funds closed to new investors. 2 of the 3 small cap funds mentioned are closed to new investors. Many people look to Morningstar to screen for funds to research further or buy.
  • True, Slick. Otherwise, the "news" is moot, eh?
  • edited April 2014
    I dropped an email to the author, and he emailed me this response within a few minutes:

Out of curiosity I reran the screen to see what other small cap funds that are currently open to new investors meet the criteria and here they are:

NNLEX
    JDSNX
    ANFVX

As you can see, it's a small group. Hope this helps.

Adam Zoll

The author gave me permission to post his response on MFO.
  • Hennessy Focus (HFCSX) used to be FBR Focus, Mr. Akre's fund before FBR tried to squeeze more revenue out of the fund by squeezing the star manager out. Since launch, AKREX has been a bit better than Hennessy and is now twice its size.

Westwood Teton Mighty Mites AAA (WEMMX) is the no-load share class and has the same 22 point up/down spread over 10 years as the "A" class that Mr. Zoll lists.

Perkins Small Cap Value comes in ten (10!) share classes and the upside capture (also the star rating) varies by share class since the more expensive shares, by definition, capture less of the upside than the cheaper shares. The JDSNX shares, above, are (I believe) a legacy no-load share class that's not widely available. The "A" share class earns one star from Morningstar.

None of which is earth-shattering, but I thought I'd chip in.

David