Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

(Sigh) Working with these numbers is SO haaarrrddd.....

...I've been looking, but not very hard, to find a Lewis Black excerpt I've seen before, in which he mimics the government workers (like CONGRESS!?) who can't produce a budget, because "all this MATH... is sooooo HAAAARRRDD!"

..."But that's not what I came to tell you about." (-Arlo Guthrie.)
I came in here to ask if someone could explain the meaning of a term or two. Like, for instance, "Projected EPS Growth over the next 5 years," as it appears in the M* "Instant X-Ray." My portf. is estimated by M* to produce EPS over that period which is specified as 10.66. Relative to the S&P, M* says that figure comes to 1.04.

Huh? This might as well be written in Russian. I never learned Russian. Pity. They got some pretty women over there, though. Can anyone attempt an explanation of this item for me--- a man who barely passed basic algebra--- as if algebra actually MATTERED to anyone? Thanks ever so much.

Comments

• Maybe these links will help.Unfortunately I have not used morningstar x ray but i would guess 1.o4 may mean a growth rate 4% higher than the S+P

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSocialize/forums/t/263542.aspx

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSocialize/forums/t/202865.aspx
  • edited March 2014
    Hmmm...I'll try, but hopefully others can spot me:

EPS is short for earnings per share. Now, I believe the M* X-ray evaluation quotes EPS growth, which is the percentage growth in earnings, or EPS, each year over the next 5 years for the composite of holdings in your portfolio.

At 10.66%, that level is about 4% higher than what the composite S&P500 expects to grow by, which is reflected in the 1.04 ratio value. I believe that the S&P500 is expected to grow at about 10.3%. So, very close to what is in your portfolio.

Not to confuse you more, but Peter Lynch would compare growth rate to current year price to earnings (P/E) ratio as a quick check of whether a stock was fairly valued:

"The P/E ratio of any company that's fairly priced will equal its growth rate" (ie., have a price to earnings divided by earnings growth, or PEG, ratio = 1). He explained that when PEG gets over 2, he would get very concerned that the stock was well over valued.

Let's do quick check of S&P500: current P/E = 15.9 and EPS growth = 10.3%, so PEG = 1.54, which suggests it may be getting a bit pricey.

Hope that helps.
  • Yes, it does help. I understand that some actual THINKING is involved. I'll never understand the process of getting to those figures, but your explanations and links do help. Thank you.
  • Honestly, I always get confused between "Price/Prospective Earnings" versus "Forward Price/Earning" versus "Current Price/Earnings" versus "Trailing Price/Earnings" versus "Price/Earnings TTM (Trailing Twelve Months)" etc, etc. Endless variations here.
  • "Price/Prospective Earnings" and "Forward Price/Earnings" should be two terms for the exact same thing.

"Trailing Price/Earnings" and "Price/Earnings TTM (Trailing Twelve Months)" should also be terms for the same exact thing.

"Current Price/Earnings" should mean the price per share divided by the most current earnings per share (earnings/share of the most recently reported quarter).

Anyone see this differently?

• Thanks man.