Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Liz Ann Sonders: Investment Outlook (March 3, 2014)

beebee
edited March 2014 in Off-Topic
Key Points

- Inflation was revised higher in the latest GDP revision; while an increase in the minimum wage could push it higher still.

- But we remain sanguine about inflation risk as long as velocity and wage growth remain low.

- The key to watch near-term is bank lending, which is starting to accelerate sharply; signaling the possible return of “animal spirits.”

advisoranalyst.com/glablog/2014/03/05/liz-ann-sonders-investment-outlook-march-3-2014.html

Inflation:

Another way to understand velocity is to look at the spread between bank deposits and bank lending. Since 2008, a gap of $2.5 trillion has opened between bank deposits of nearly $10 trillion and bank lending of less than $7.5 trillion. This spread is unprecedented in history. The weakness in bank lending helps to explain the anemic nature of the recovery so far; but it also helps explain the low level of inflation we’ve seen. Recently bank lending is on a significant upswing and something to pay attention to with regards to inflation.

Record Gap Between Bank Deposits and Lending:

Comments

• Thanks Bee...I've been a fan of Ms. Sonders for some time, dating back to her appearances on Wall Street Week (aka the good old days). I appreciate her style of communicating to the public, and I seldom have noted an area where I hold a completely divergent view. Schwab did well in bringing her on board.
  • Liz Ann Sonders and Jeffry Saut are the two investment strategist that I follow the most.

Hers for more of a long term perspective and Mr. Saut’s for more of a near term perspective.

I have linked Mr. Saut’s latest commentary below for those that might be interested.

http://www.raymondjames.com/inv_strat.htm