Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Need a rec for an all-cap global fund, value or deep-value focus....

...preferably a manager who isn't afraid to go to hold onto cash if the market looks to rich.

Thanks.

D.S.

Comments

• Check out WAGTX, one of Wasatch's lesser known funds. I own it, happy with it.
  • I'd check the newly-reoriented F P A Paramount (FPRAX). F P A installed the team from FPIVX and converted Paramount from quality-growth/domestic to absolute-value/global. They've done very well at FPIVX and are adamant that cash is superior to trash.

Tweedy, Browne Global Value (TBGVX) is excellent, about 17% cash, but tends to invest in larger fare.

Oakseed Opportunity (SEEDX) promises to go anywhere the value is, about 21% cash, but is currently finding value in larger-cap names.

Polaris Global Value (PGVFX) certainly fits the all-cap, value-to-deep-value criteria, excellent returns, long-returned skipper but rather more volatility and less cash than you might like.

Kopernick Global All-Cap (KGGAX) is one the horizon. New fund run by a famous guy, David Iben. 20% cash, up 5% YTD but I'm not sure how widely-available the NL/NTF shares would be. You might want to glance at the Launch Alert we wrote about the fund a few months back.

For what interest that holds,

David
  • FPRAX. http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/holdings?t=FPRAX&region=usa&culture=en-US
    EXTREMELY concentrated in 29 equity holdings. Just a couple of bond holdings. Global, indeed, though.
  • FPRAX this year will be good only for IRA-type accounts: It already made a huge capital gain distribution, and probably it will continue this way while the new managers change the nature of the fund.
  • edited February 2014
    Not all-cap, but FMIJX is global (both by domicile and footprint), value-oriented and firmly process-driven, and managed conservatively a la cash and currency exposure. It's also not as "international" as the name is usually inferred to mean -- the prospectus requires only 65% in non-U.S. names and U.S. exposure now is just shy of 30%. It's concentrated, but still a pretty smooth ride because of the strict value discipline & currency approach.
  • Thanks, all.

David -- the names of the Tweedy funds are a bit confusing. TBGVX is actually their international offering. TBVFX ("Tweedy Brown Value") is actually their global offering (was morphed over from a predominantly US-only orientation not too long ago).

PGVFX is an interesting case -- few years ago was one a runner-up for global manager of the year, but got hit quite hard in the great recession and was slow to recover, so its long-term record suffered greatly. Now its back on track. But, oh, what a wild ride.

Thanks !

D.S.
  • edited February 2014
    Regarding FPRAX's strategy change and subsequent tax implications, I only see four positions initiated prior to 9/30/13. Seems like most gains have been realized by now.
  • My favorite Global Value funds would be ARTGX or even more conservative, APPLX. Morningstar list APPLX as a Midcap value fund, but their mandate is broad.
  • edited February 2014
    Perkins Global Value Fund (JGVAX) seems to fit your criteria well. It's all-cap, run by a respected value firm, plays a lot more defensively than PGVFX (which I also like). At last report the cash level was around 16%, AUM isn't very large, its holdings will go down to the micro-cap level, though not very many of these at the moment (under 2% as I recall). Not too expensive, either. There are various fund classes, but JGVAX seems the most likely option with a 1.03% expense ratio. JPPIX would be a lower expense version and comes on sale at Scottrade for a mere $100,000. And its Morningstar Risk Grade is Low for what that's worth.
  • edited February 2014
    I would also take a look at MQIFX, which continues to be available at Wellstrade. Also, if you are willing to look at ETFs, I would consider a 60/40 or some other mix of TILT and TLTD which would give you the exposure you desire with relatively low expenses. Unfortunately, these ETFs have low daily trading volumes.

Kevin
  • edited February 2014
    Wow, has OAKGX lost a lot of love the past few years? Used to be very popular.

Anyways, OAKGX and OAKWX are also other considerations besides what's already been mentioned.

• BrianW said:

My favorite Global Value funds would be ARTGX or even more conservative, APPLX. Morningstar list APPLX as a Midcap value fund, but their mandate is broad.

APPLX has about 13% in gold. It worked well for the fund in the past, but will it work in the future?

• edited March 2014
    finder said:

APPLX has about 13% in gold. It worked well for the fund in the past, but will it work in the future?

I own APPLX. If you read their most recent shareholder letter at http://www.appleseedfund.com, they have a short discussion of their rationale for holding gold. (You can also look at their previous shareholder letters; they review this topic every time.)

I think their reasoning makes sense, but you can make your own decision. Maybe you should first decide whether it makes sense to hold gold in your portfolio. If so, then you can consider whether APPLX has a place in your portfolio.

• edited March 2014
    finder: "APPLX has about 13% in gold. It worked well for the fund in the past, but will it work in the future?"

It has more than 19% in gold, per M*, in the first and third largest holdings. I owned APPLX a few years ago, and it was really impressive how it lost so little in the '08 downturn and gained so much coming out of the bottom in '09. It hasn't been able to repeat that performance though, and when they went heavily into gold, I sold. (If I want gold or commodity exposure, I prefer to own it in a dedicated fund.)
  • In keeping with the theme of the thread, I use APPLX as part of my all cap value, conservative portion of my portfolio. As such, it has behaved just as it should. If you look back at the 2008-2010 timeframe, you should see they are rather conservative until something happens or perhaps it's better to say values become attractive. Until then, they seem to strive to not lose money. I'm hiring them to make some decisions for me and if they believe it's prudent to have a portion in gold, so be it.
  • Not a knock on it at all, but I think it is relevant to this thread that APPLX has become a little more of an allocation fund and a little less an all-cap stock fund. The stock percentage hasn't been above 71% for several years, including most of the bull market, which I'd think is a little more than 'holding cash if the market looks rich,' per the OP. I do think it's a good fit for people who like the allocation approach.
  • edited March 2014
    Kenster1, don't tell them about Oakmark:) Oakmark sucks!!!
  • ...preferably a manager who isn't afraid to go to hold onto cash if the market looks to rich.

Thanks.

D.S.

I own ARTGX and WAGOX. WAGOX provides some exposure to emerging markets.
    I also own WAFMX to give some additional spice with exposure to 'frontier' markets.

• edited March 2014
    My favorite global all cap fund, which I own, is THOAX, Thornburg Global Opportunity Fund A. It has a multi sector, style and a country orientation. I have linked its Morningstar report below along with its fund fact sheet. I have heard that it can be purchsed load waived at a few brokerage houses.

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=thoax&region=USA

http://www.thornburginvestments.com/pdfs/TH1228_GlobalOpps_highlight.pdf

I wish all "Good Inveting."

Old_Skeet
  • I'm glad I sometimes don't listen to comments so I own OAKGX because I like the manager.
  • FYI: U.S. News & World Report ranking of World Stock Funds.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/rankings/world-stock
  • Ron, you are right. The original poster was asking for deep value fund. You don't get much more deep-value and long-term good than the Oakmark funds.

Lets face it. Everyone has their favorite and there is no way in hell to know which of these funds mentioned in this post will be the best performer in 5 years. Flip a coin.
  • Obviously I was kidding about Oakmark. It's my largest holding and probably always will be.
  • Old_Skeet said:

My favorite global all cap fund, which I own, is THOAX, Thornburg Global Opportunity Fund A. It has a multi sector, style and a country orientation. I have linked its Morningstar report below along with its fund fact sheet. I have heard that it can be purchsed load waived at a few brokerage houses.

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=thoax&region=USA

http://www.thornburginvestments.com/pdfs/TH1228_GlobalOpps_highlight.pdf

I wish all "Good Inveting."

Old_Skeet

The institutional share (no load), THOIX, is available with a transaction fee at Fidelity. The minimum amount for tax-deferred accounts is $2,500. Additional purchase using automatic investment option would cost another $5 for each purchase.