Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Disconcerting: "Asia Confidential"

edited February 2014 in Off-Topic
http://asiaconf.com/?doing_wp_cron=1389670654.0088429450988769531250

And yet: "Put simply, you should expect further pain in Chinese stocks from already low levels. But it could soon turn into a fabulous buying opportunity for long-term investors. I’d focus on sectors which will benefit in the “new” consumption-driven China, including consumer discretionary and staples, telecommunications and internet companies. Cheap ways to play the future of China, in other words. I like retailer, Giordano, telecoms giant, China Mobile, China Mengniu Dairy as well as internet play, Tencent, though expect to pick them all up at cheaper prices."

Comments

• Take a look at KWEB
  • edited February 2014
    Tencent can be played through Naspers (NSPNY), the South African e-commerce/media giant, although I think it's gotten even more overvalued. Playing Alibaba via Softbank is a little more interesting after that has tanked lately. If Naspers ever came down, that is an interesting play on emerging market e-commerce.

I'd rather own Singapore Telecom ("Singtel") than China Mobile, as Singtel has ownership in a handful of other regional telecoms, as well as some private equity/venture capital investments. It also owns large mobile ad firm Amobee. (http://www.amobee.com/)

I continue to like Jardine Matheson and Hutchison Whampoa. The latter has the second largest health and beauty chain in the world (AS Watson, which it plans to spin-off this year), not to mention is one of the largest owners of port operations in the world. Both trade around book value.