Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Three Culprits Behind The Emerging Markets Selloff. LO

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Four, according to the article:

"(1) a resurgence of fears over a hard landing in [China], the world's second largest economy
    (2) Argentina's decision to abandon its policy of intervening in the foreign exchange market
    (3) ongoing concerns over the Federal Reserve tapering its quantitative easing program"
    and
    (4) a sort of contagion effect, "Investors buy emerging markets ETFs; they don't buy specific stocks in the Philippines or Argentina. So if they decide to take fright at what's happening in one or two of the big countries, they sell everything," said Jim Walker, founder and managing director of Asianomics.

David
  • edited January 2014
    Reply to @David_Snowball: Correct - but rhetorically I don't care for the number "4." Just doesn't sound symmetrical for some reason. 3 works much better. 10 also works very well and suspect by next week somebody will come up with 10 reasons to sell EM funds.
  • Missing 3: Realization that equity market recovery since 2008 from liquidity chasing assets hasn't corresponded to economic recovery globally.
  • beebee
    edited January 2014
  • edited January 2014
    Reply to @cman: Exactly. I also agree with David's list above, and think #4 definitely plays a part. Investors seem to have very little interest in individual EM stocks - I'd say in the US, investment in EM is probably done 90-95% via funds.
  • Reply to @bee: Happy Birthday Paul, and stop crying, your rich enough.
    Regards,
    Ted

• Reply to @mrdarcey: Super !
    Regards,
    Ted