Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Is The Best Asset Class In 2014 Going To Be

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Hello all,

I'll go with the Russell 2000 as it holds a good number of biotech stocks.

Old_Skeet
  • edited January 2014
    Reply to @Old_Skeet: lol, just started a small short hedge in r2k. I'll probably get obliterated, but felt it was worth a try at this point. I'll throw in a guess that real assets (energy, real estate, rail, ports, etc etc.) will outperform, with REITs in particular having a moderate comeback after a weak 2013.

I think healthcare will surprise and continue its run. I dislike a fair amount of B & M retail, aside from some scattered things (Costco.) I continue to like credit card co's (increasing e-commerce, increasing move away from cash, mobile payments, etc.) I like some tech (particularly Google and Qualcomm, as well as "financial tech" - Fidelity National Information Services and Fiserv.)

I think emerging markets will continue to be very specific in terms of some countries faring better than others. I do think there are values in EM, but you just can't be short-term.
  • I am also keeping an eye on global Reits. I have shares in ARYVX which was doing quite well until fall. I also could see a emerging markets bounce back later this year.
  • edited January 2014
    In Bondland, I am Dusty Springfielding (wishin and hopin) it will be junk (high yield) muni funds.