Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Matthews Asia Webcast Replay

edited January 2014 in Fund Discussions
This is a webcast that reviews the year past and also has some opinion on what to expect for 2014.

http://micm-llc.com/about/webcast.fs

Comments

• beebee
    edited January 2014
    Hi JohnC, I gather you are closer to the Asia market than the rest of us here. Where do you turn for Asia News?

Have you frequented this site?

" ...rising inflation without a concomitant rise in interest rates is very bullish for stock markets. Given developed market central banks are pledging to hold interest rates near zero for a considerable period of time, there may be a sweet spot for equities to outperform further."

And,

" If I’m right about deflation, then over-sold bonds could make a significant comeback and prove the doomsayers (99% of pundits right now) wrong again. But given the risks from current policies, making grand bets on such things is a mugs game and it’s best to diversify your assets (beyond just stocks and bonds) as much as possible at this juncture."

Article Speed Read:

- Inflation expectations in the U.S. are rising, indicating inflation may be around the corner.

- If that trend continues, stocks are likely to continue to out-perform, but Asia should start to play catch-up to developed market equities.

- Asia Confidential isn’t buying into the coming inflation and global recovery thesis. Deflation remains the primary risk in our view.

- If that view is right, bonds could stage a big comeback, defying the doomsayers (99% of pundits) once again.

asiaconf.com/
  • Reply to @bee: I have not been to that site. I will check it out. Thanks. I get most of my news from Bloomberg. In the morning and early afternoon they are Asia based. Later in the afternoon it switches to Europe coverage and in the evening switches to US coverage.
  • edited January 2014
    Thanks for the link, JC. I didn't even know Matthews did webcasts.

From the MAPIX/MACSX owner's perspective, this may be an interesting inflection point happening now -- MAPIX fading a bit, MACSX picking up -- Indonesia is back to gains after the big selloff.

• Reply to @AndyJ: These webcasts are a great service from Matthews. Would the MAPIX fade correlate with the huge drop in the Nikky recently?
  • edited January 2014
    Gotta "register" to listen. Thank you sincerely, JohnChisum. I'm just tired of registering for stuff. Here, jump through this hoop so we can give you what we told you is available.

Here's a dozen eggs for $2.98. But produce your loyalty card and it costs. $1.99.... So, I need the card...WHY? (Yes, I know there is no expense involved in this case. Same concept, though.) I'll be watching this thread, though. :)
  • Reply to @MaxBialystock: Welcome back Max !. Anything new to look forward to on Broadway ?
    Regards,
    Ted
  • No, not Broadway. Nevertheless, we all need to get a handle on our situation, on our finances, and adjust. Things are not always so neat and trim. Just ask The Dude. ;)