Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Would IDR's be considered "safe" investments(esp IDR CORE EQ RE 2010 LP NET CAP BAL)?

edited August 2011 in Off-Topic
I've been trying to get my Mom's large family Trust run by USB to lower this Portfolio's risk factor, which STILL holds over 75% in U.S. and foreign stocks, with a larger than S&P percentage of Energy, Materials and Industrials - the three sectors most dependent on economic growth. Since all the Primary Beneficiaries of this Trust are in their 80's, long retired and dependent upon income and capital conservation, the risk factor seems way out of line (especially since I read that their neighboring Leuthold Group in Minneapolis recently slashed stocks from 63% to 45% of its portfolios). One of USB's most recent investments (end 2010 and several more buys 2011) are substantial amounts in the above, which they list under their "Misc Assets-Non-Real Estate Partnership/LLC. I have no idea what this is. Does anyone here know if this investment is a good and safe one to make to help buffer losses in this large equity percentage portfolio?

Comments

• edited August 2011
    You mean the stocks are listed as ""Misc Assets-Non-Real Estate Partnership/LLC" or that the "Misc Assets-Non-Real Estate Partnership/LLC" is a different part of the portfolio? I'm guessing "Misc Assets-Non-Real Estate Partnership/LLC" is the entity they've structured for these investments to be held in if that's where the stocks are. I do think specific energy and materials names are good choices for if we do go down the QE3, QE4, QEx route. I like, as noted earlier this week, some MLPs. This is the way that I'm leaning. If this isn't the case and we get 2008 again, then I'll change that view.

However, if - as I noted in another thread - we get none of that and the cards are allowed to fall however they may, then all bets are off as I believe that scenario could be worse than 2008. The end result either way isn't - I think - going to be good.
  • edited August 2011
    Reply to @scott: Sorry if I was confusing. The specific investments of IDR CORE EQ RE 2010 LP NET CAP BAL is listed under USB's HEADING of Misc Assets-Non-Real Estate Partnership/LLC (like they have headings for Domestic Common Stocks, Corporate Obligations/Bonds and Notes, Mutual Funds, etc. There is a SUB note for this investment of "AMG Private Equity-Hld by Issr."

I had no idea what IDRs are. I tried searching for the specific investment, but got nowhere. When I tried searching just IDR's, I found "Indian Depository Receipts," saying "India-listed securities issued against underlying equity shares of foreign companies. IDRs work just like Global Depository Receipts or American Depository Receipts — overseas-listed securities against underlying equity shares of Indian companies." Does that mean it is like a Equity Fund of companies in India? I don't even know what a Depository Receipt is, or if "Indian" ones are a "safe" investment which would be effective for lowering the risk level of a portfolio. Since they have added very substantial amounts to this investment from 12/30/10 to 3/30/11, I felt it was important that I at least have an absolute minimum understanding of what they are. Even more confusing is that the market value has remained the same as their cost for all these investments so it looks like the actual return won't be shown until 1 year after the date of investment. There was also something about a 30% TAX on dividends, etc. All this way above my head.

I don't want to take up any more of your time on questions about investments you wouldn't be interested in or would need more research to check, especially with so much else going on. I guess I was just hoping there were members here who were familiar with these enough to be able to tell me how safe they were, and if there were any negatives to owning these.
  • edited August 2011
    Reply to @CathyG: I'm always happy to answer any questions at all. I definitely don't think this is Indian stocks, but may be a private limited partnership vehicle that invests either in public or private equity. If the stocks and bonds are separate and there's another sub category with "AMG Private Equity-Hld by Issr." that doesn't have any explanation, this may be some sort of limited partnership vehicle that invests in public or private assets, I think it's a little shady that there's no information given and that something like this would be a large part of a trust for an older person. So, there's stocks, bonds, etc, and then this "AMG Private Equity" as an added sub-category?

If it's some sort of private equity vehicle, I'd be interested in it (because I love alternative investments - what the London market offered in terms of alternative investments was like Christmas for me), but I would be very, very surprised to see it in the portfolio of someone near/in retirement.

Private equity (if this is private equity and again, I'd be really kind of surprised to find some sort of private equity vehicle in a retired person's account) has a tendency to be extremely volatile, especially in a 2008-style situation, but in many cases these sorts of investments are illiquid.

If a private equity vehicle (and again, I'd be really kind of surprised if they would use this sort of vehicle, especially in the account of an older person) showed up in the portfolio of an older person I knew/know, I'd be contacting the investment advisor ASAP to at least get details on why.

Edited to add:
    Actually, now that I look on google, AMG is a financial company that manages private equity accounts and other investments in both the alternative and non-alternative space:
    http://www.amg.com/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?id=665&m=2010

I mean, it says 'private equity' on the account report so that's probably what it is, but again, I'd just be pretty amazed to see a private equity fund in an account for someone well in retirement age (or near retirement age.)
  • edited August 2011
    Reply to @CathyG: Additionally, it's tough to know without seeing more details, but "Since they have added very substantial amounts to this investment from 12/30/10 to 3/30/11, I felt it was important that I at least have an absolute minimum understanding of what they are. Even more confusing is that the market value has remained the same as their cost for all these investments so it looks like the actual return won't be shown until 1 year after the date of investment. There was also something about a 30% TAX on dividends, etc. All this way above my head. "

If there's something about the value not being displayed until the investment has reached a certain period, my guess is that this may be some sort of private equity ("AMG Private Equity-Hld by Issr.") investment. I have no idea on the specific tax details - 30% - but again, it speaks to it being some sort of an unusual investment. Maybe the specific note on dividend tax was due to it being some sort of limited partnership where dividends were passed through in a similar manner to an MLP or REIT? It's hard to know without more details, but just guessing. Why mention a specific dividend tax if it was not an unusual situation? Hmmm... Weird. And to clarify, the value of this particular portion of the portfolio hasn't changed?

Any which way, I'd definitely call them ASAP to get more details, and I'd be curious what it turns out to be.
  • One more: I think the IDR Core EQ is this, but the filings don't tell me anything aside from that it's a limited partnership/pooled investment vehicle registered in Cleveland, with no other information that I can find.

http://sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?company=IDR+CORE+EQUITY+RE+STRATEGY+2010,+LP&match=&CIK=&filenum=&State=&Country=&SIC=&owner=exclude&Find=Find+Companies&action=getcompany
  • edited August 2011
    Ah, and the research continues. The filings name a Gary A. Zdolshek. He is listed as the principal of Investors Diversified Reality (IDR!), "a private real estate investment management firm that offers institutional investors a Platform approach to investing in the asset class." (http://www.imn.org/pages/biography.cfm?personid=1E4BEF573050)

So....it's a private pooled limited partnership vehicle investing ... most likely in real estate (core equity *RE* strategy), but it becomes in what manner is the fund investing in this asset class (equity, directly in RE, etc?) and why did the financial advisor invest in it? If it's merely equity, why not invest in one of any number of public real estate mutual funds, so I have to wonder if it's not something more complex (possibly direct RE investment?)

To go another step further, here's the company website: http://www.idrfof.com/

It seems like a somewhat smallish operation to me from the website.

So, IDR CORE EQUITY RE STRATEGY 2010 is a limited partnership pool started by Investors Diversified Reality (hence the IDR.)

The small details I dunno, but some sort of real estate pooled investment vehicle.

I don't know how "AMG Private Equity-Hld by Issr." fits in, but if it's somehow tied to the IDR investment, the real estate investments may be private and AMG was the one offering the fund? There are no details on the SEC filings that I see about the specifics of the fund.

I'm guessing the pooled/LP nature of the fund is reason for the statement on the specific dividend rate, similar to my CFD Nuveen Commodity Fund, which is a pool: "The Nuveen Diversified Commodity Fund (the “Fund”) is an actively-managed, exchange-traded commodity pool. The Fund's shares represent units of fractional undivided beneficial interest in and ownership of the Fund. The Fund is not a mutual fund, a closed-end fund, or any other type of “investment company” within the meaning of the Investment Company Act of 1940, as amended (the “1940 Act”), and is not subject to regulation thereunder." Investors in CFD get a K-1 tax form in the same way as those who invest in Master Limited Partnerships.

There may be a K-1 or other such partnership form involved here, especially if this is a vehicle that is going to be passing large distributions on to shareholders in a limited partnership structure. In other words, the limited partnership/pool nature of the fund would likely explain the unusually specific note about dividend taxation. If this is a large investment, I'd consider contacting an accountant about any requirements on how to handle tax issue/s that may arise from this investment, as there definitely may be some.

All that aside, definitely an "out there" vehicle to find its way into a trust fund for a retired person. If it's a private vehicle investing in public RE equity, why not use one of any number of good public RE mutual funds. If it's a private vehicle investing in private real estate equity, is the risk involved age-appropriate?
  • Reply to @scott: You are amazing! THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking all that additional time to research this for me! This investment seems to get more and more strange and I have lots of caution signs for investments that seem so hard to find full disclosure information on. I think I'll check USB past investment Gains/Losses and see if they invested in these in the past so I can at least see what kind of returns they got then (if they did invest before 8/2010). Anyway, you've certainly given me enough information to check out further, Scott. Thank you again!

P.S. Is there life outside of investing? I'm just creating my new 1-mo "to do" schedule and realized that the majority of my time in the last month has been spent reading articles, links, reports, investment articles, etc. My poor garden. I'm so drained after all of that I just don't have the energy for anything else. Hope you are better able to moderate your time to regularly enjoy your favorite past times.
  • edited August 2011
    Reply to @scott: I have been emailing USB head of this Trust with my strong concerns over the investments in this Portfolio. He has scheduled a conference call with me that includes head investment manager of this Trust to "explain" their positions for early Friday morning. Thus my need to obtain as much understanding as I can about all their investments before the call. I will check all your links to help me do this. Thanks again!
  • edited August 2011
    Reply to @CathyG: Very happy to help! I'd definitely contact USB to at least try to get more details on what this fund is (is it private equity, private fund in public RE investment) and whether or not the nature of the investment will result in any tax consequences (and if it turns out to be private equity, asking how that's age-appropriate in terms of risk.) I'd be curious to find out what it is and if it is actually private equity (which I would find stunning in a retired person's account.)

My concerns about taxes come from this discussion of Master Limited Partnerships and the taxation issues that could arise from holding them in a non-taxable account:
    http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewarticle/articleid/3249139 This investment may not be the same situation, but it is a limited partnership with a dividend taxation issue enough that it had to be mentioned in the account report.

In terms of investing, I'm to the point where I don't believe that things are headed in a good direction (to put it lightly) and if there isn't a good end result to what's going on right now, I'd rather it just happen right now so things can move on (rebuild?) instead of having to deal with what I call "Groundhog Day" economics (the same problems that were kicked down the road coming back yet again - we did QE1, a year later QE2 and a year later people are looking for QE3.)

I'm a huge fan of gardening and I think it's really not only a relaxing task in the zen of it, but a productive one. I was surprisingly successful in growing sugar substitute Stevia this year, but haven't figured out much use for it beyond putting it in tea. They sell the powered version in stores under many names, but the leaf is much better tasting. Otherwise, lettuce/cabbage/squash/peppers did well this year. Peas didn't fare well and cucumbers probably aren't working (but the great thing about gardening not working is that it's a learning experience.) Corn and some other things are possibilities next year when I think I'll ramp up gardening more than I did this year.
  • Reply to @scott: Thanks, Scott. This whole investment seems odd to me - especially since, if this IS a real estate investment (either equity, land, etc), then their putting this investment under their heading of "NON-Real Estate Partnership/LLC" doesn't make sense. I will ask them more about this in our conference call on Friday.

I envy you all your vegetable, etc. garden growing. Since 95% of my yard area is filtered shade, and much of the sun area I have is just not hot enough in our So. Calif. coastal area, all my several thousand potted plants are ornamental. I do have wonderful Blueberries and Blackberries in the very small sun area. But I have tried growing several vegetables - and the pure pleasure of harvesting and eating fresh is beyond comparison for pleasure.
  • edited August 2011
    Reply to @CathyG: I think I was the last generation before technology really became such a massive part of daily life - when I was a kid and had to do a research paper, it was before the internet and you'd have to go to the library and look through the microfilm to find an article. I'm not up there in age, and yet I feel like "When I was a kid I had to go to the library to do my homework, there was no internet" is sort of like my generation's version of an earlier generation's "I had to walk five miles to school." I gardened when I was a kid, I learned how to fish, etc.

Kids today would rather play Farmville on Facebook than work on an actual farm.

The further inroads technology makes into our daily lives, the further society seems to go away from the world and simple connections like gardening. As I've noted before many times in other threads, just look at the average age of farmers - last I looked it was something like 55 and heading higher. With things how they've been in the world lately, quite honestly, if I could, I'd just go move to a farm in the middle of nowhere.

Several thousand potted plants is unbelievable - that's a massive task! I'm impressed you can care for them and manage to focus on investments and other aspects of daily life.

Thanks for keeping us updated on what that investment turns out to be about - I'm just really curious what that investment is, as it just seems too esoteric to be something plain and IDR CORE EQ RE 2010 LP does appear to be a separate entity, if it is the same vehicle as the one registered at the SEC above.

• Reply to @scott: I'm with you, Scott. When I worked for the Chancellor at UC Davis, I had a "new" machine called MTST (Magnetic Tape Selectric Typewriter). We were amazed that the typewriter actually recorded the keystrokes and could be edited. Each machine cost $10,000+ and was huge compared to what we have now. I'm afraid I'm still way behind in current technology - no Blackberries, etc. and our cell phone which we gave in and got a couple of years ago stays off most of the time. Don't have Facebook, don't Tweet, blog, etc. I'm sure I'm missing something from these enhancements, but don't think they would give much enhancement to my life.... just more time-consuming things that take more away from my gardening.

I'll let you know about the IDR investment. I feel like David against Goliath in even trying to get USB to make any changes. Poor Mom's capital and quarterly distributions keep going down each year and she is 90!
  • Reply to @CathyG: That's really unfortunate that you're stuck in that situation with USB. No one should say of their financial advisor: "It's a nightmare to try and get them to change anything and the account capital and distributions are going down every year." So, they're hard to work with and not doing a satisfactory job. I hope you can either work out something with them different or somehow manage to move from them, although I know the latter is difficult (and from the sound of it, the former is difficult, too.)
  • Reply to @scott: Thanks, Scott. Since the choice of investment manager for most of Mom's trusts was made almost a century ago as part of the Trust Agreement - and this particular trust is a large Family Trust - there are also the concerns of the other beneficiaries (most who I don't know and, as far as I know, have never expressed any comments whatsoever to USB). So I'm just trying to give it my best shot. Thanks so much for all your help on this - I'll let you know what happens.
  • Reply to @scott: I had a 1-1/2 hour conference call with USB management early Friday. Very disturbing. They did verify that "IDR Core EQ RE 2010 LP Net Ca; Bal" is the "Investors Diversified Realty" you found. They said it is a private fund that invests in commercial property purchased through this fund because "REITS were overvalued." They said they will send some information on this, but the investment should produce "Equity-like" returns of 7% over 10 years, but then said probably start at 1%-2%, then 5% annual (??). They said long-term investment that have not distributed anything yet.

Thanks so much, Scott, for helping me locate at least enough information about this investment to be able to ask pertinent questions. My priority on trying to find a really good fee-only advisor who can evaluate the portfolio and investments of these trusts has definitely accelerated. I'm just not yet sure how to evaluate the ones I can locate in initial phone calls to be able to determine which one(s) would be best for my situation. Will have to gather my thoughts in the next couple of weeks and ask members here if I am asking the right questions.
  • edited August 2011
    Reply to @CathyG: Wow. I think that's pretty stunning. Before anything else, I'm really amazed that such a esoteric investment would be considered in this case.

I think you can wait for the paperwork, but stuff like this: " but the investment should produce "Equity-like" returns of 7% over 10 years, but then said probably start at 1%-2%, then 5% annual (??)" is always something you should be immensely skeptical of, especially with something real estate related. If this was some sort of LP arrangement where commercial property was managed and a large portion of the proceeds went to the fundholders similar to a REIT or MLP - and it was heavily about a sizable income stream - then maybe that would be better, but then it's pretty reliant upon management and, as noted later on, this is still likely a very illiquid investment that's not without some serious risk if the commercial RE market becomes problematic again.

I don't particularly like REITs either (although I'd be interested to hear the details of their take that REITS are overvalued, but commercial RE has enough opportunities to devote a large investment to, but again, no idea what the specifics of the private fund are), but I think there are specific instances of companies that have hard-to-replace properties in very, very prime locations.

I'm actually considering going back into Brookfield Office Properties (BPO), but don't have much else of interest in terms of RE. I own Hong Kong Land, but through its parent company. In terms of specific situations, another example is a London property company I owned, which had the unique situation of owning a large chunk of the Covent Garden area (I sold that earlier this year.) Again, really unique/prime situations is the only thing I'd be interested in.

I think that even if we had a sustained recovery, retail is overbuilt in this country and technology may take away from B & M retail further. There were nearly 105,000 shopping centers-of all sizes-in the United States as of the end of 2009. How many shopping centers exist in Europe? A: In 2007 there were an estimated 5,700 shopping centers in Europe. Not perfect comparisons, but you get the idea.

I do agree with this clip on commercial real estate - it's an excellent take on the status of retail RE:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/video/65589812/

I think there are likely opportunities within commercial real estate in specific sectors and areas - but is that risk right for this account? Additionally, some real estate firm in Ohio? They may be good, they may not - who knows, but their website seemed pretty basic (http://www.idrfof.com/) - the paperwork may be better, but all I have to go on is a very basic website and little else I can find. They may be great, but what I see on the surface is not real confidence inspiring.

Additionally, I just noticed this is your other thread:

"JPMorganStructured EFA 200% EFA 24 mos. ?Zero Coupon? Name sound like it pays out 200% of EFA Intl Market (MSCI EAFE) index? This investment has DECREASED in value from inception (Dec 2009) to now and ends 12/30/11, so does that mean they were making a bet that these markets would grow during this time - but lost the bet?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structured_product

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSCI_EAFE

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/bonds/10/structured-notes.asp#axzz1WKFDCCr3
    -A take on the negatives of structured notes, of which there are quite a few.

http://etfs.morningstar.com/quote?t=EFA (for the ETF)

What are they doing? This is the trust account of a 90-year-old person, and you have structured notes (2x!) based upon the EFA (if this is a structured note that is based on 2x EFA, which is what it sounds like) and private commercial real estate?

I know the situation is such that you cannot do much in terms of taking it out of USB, but I would be very concerned (and I know you are very concerned and doing what you can to be informed/researching) with the kind of risks they are taking not only in terms of the bets themselves, but the manner (which are really VERY illiquid, I would think; if they had to sell something like the commercial real estate fund, how easy would that be - my guess, not very at all and that's if there's not any sort of "lockup" period where they can't sell. Same for the structured note, which isn't going to be liquid, either.) they are making them.

Lets say that this was not your mother's account, and lets say it was for someone who was in their 40's. The illiquid nature of these investments - I hope they don't have to sell - is still very concerning, and the esoteric nature is surprising. If the structured note is simply 2x the EAFE (and no other gimmicks or other elements, but purely 2x EAFE), then why not just use the EFO etf (which is 2x EAFE, and far more liquid)?

Board member Bob C is a financial advisor and I'd be interested in his take. Personally, I can't believe they'd be taking these bets for this sort of situation.
  • Reply to @scott: Thanks so much, Scott, for all the time you've taken on this for me! I will definitely check out all your links.

Couple things. I misspoke on the response re IDR CORE. I double-checked my notes which show they project a 5% type of distribution - but only 1% to 2% for the next year, then growing to 5%, plus some appreciation in time in addition to that. He did say the investments in this were liquid - 3 mos advance notice.

Also, I should have been more clear on the beneficiaries in this trust. There are 21 beneficiaries (including secondary beneficiaries). The primary beneficiary ages are in the 80s, and the secondary beneficiary ages range about low in the 50s to high 60s.

From the figures I have been able to obtain, this Portfolio appears to have average annual gain of less than 2% annually over the last 10 years (taking into account annual distributions). I know the stock market has been awful this last decade, but it seems to me that a more protective portfolio considering the general ages of the beneficiaries should have been revised at least a decade ago, especially considering even a high quality bond fund like TGLMX seems to have strongly outperformed 3, 5 and 10 year performance of this Trust. I know bond funds had a good decade, especially over stocks, but in checking one of my very conservative portfolios (with 10% or less equities) that contains a diversified mix of bond funds, did the same or better than even TGLMX over these periods (even though I didn't actually own them for that length of time).