Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Coming presidential election, Things to Know

edited May 9 in Off-Topic
From a Barrons email

"Trump told oil executives they should give him $1 billion in campaign donations because he planned to roll back regulations. Lisa Friedman, Coral Davenport, Jonathan Swan and Maggie Haberman report today about at a meeting between Trump and oil executives and lobbyists at Mar-a-Lago last month that included leaders from Exxon Mobil, EQT Corporation and the American Petroleum Institute. Lawyers and lobbyists working for the U.S. oil industry are also drawing up ready-to-sign executive orders for Trump, Politico reported."

Comments

• Yes, I believe that the Washington Post broke this story. If that man wins the election we immediately become a third-world type government. The bastard has absolutely no shame- he actually brags on what he's going to do to this country. Good luck to us.
  • edited May 10
    @Old_Joe said:
    The bastard has absolutely no shame- he actually brags on what he's going to do to this country.
    He fits EVERY definition of a narcissus. Very scary that 1/2 the population can't recognize these traits.

1- The truth is whatever I say in the moment. I will change it whenever it suits me. I don't need to be consistent. When I speak, I act 100 percent certain of what I am saying. Its amazing how often I convince people I am right by speaking with absolute certainty.

2- I love taking credit but I have no interest in taking responsibility. I never apologize or admit I am wrong. That would appear weak.

3- I am largely unaware of how my actions affect others. Truth be told, I dont really care. If I get what I want, all else is collateral damage.

4- I have a bottomless hunger for attention and respect. Whatever you do for me will never be enough. However, the longer I can keep you trying, the better for me.

5- I consider people disposable. I can be secretive, deceptive, undermine you, or withdraw for no reason. If you ever leave me I will replace you as soon as possible and never look back.

6- I seek status, not equality; and victory, not fairness. I view most people as either threats or suckers. I consider few people to be my equal. Winning is everything to me. If I feel slighted I will attack you for being unfair. However, I have no intention of playing fair with you.

7- My image is all-important. Appearances matter more to me than substance. Ill do whatever it takes to look good. If that’s at your expense, too bad.

8- I feel entitled to do whatever I want. Normal rules and limitations dont apply to me. Anything goes, if it makes me feel good about myself.

9- I am mortally afraid of feeling humiliated. I cant stand being seen as flawed, inferior, weak or a loser. You will pay dearly if you ever do anything that makes me feel that way.

https://psychcentral.com/blog/narcissism-decoded/2017/05/nine-truths-narcissists-will-never-tell-you#2
  • edited May 10

That sums it up perfectly. Yes, if he wins again, this country will be a s-hole country, instantly, ipso facto.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dangerous_Case_of_Donald_Trump

• edited May 10
    What’s the attraction then? Tell me why he quite consistently runs neck & neck with Ol’ Joe (the other one) in the polls?

Are 40-50% of the U.S. population crazy?

Edit: Are nearly 100 million of our fellow citizens “Crazy as a loon?

• Per Paul Simon's song, The Boxer... "Still a man hears what he wants to hear
    and disregards the rest."
  • Crazy as all get out! As long as they think they are owning the dems or libs or snowflakes or whatever the other party is being called these days nothing else matters. Period. End of discussion. His supporters cannot look out far enough to realize that these same policies they beam over will bite them in the ass just as well. Hasn't he been quoted as saying that he likes them stupid or something along those lines.
  • edited May 10
    You’re right @Mark.

I’d say there is a small subset that harbors racist feelings related to the VP. And than there’s some greedy ones who’d sell out their mother for a dollar. But most I’d say don’t understand WTF they’re doing. Have watched so much “reality tv” they don’t even know what’s real and what’s not anymore.
  • edited May 10
    Agreed, sadly. A dreadful state of affairs. Those voters are just too dumb, too insulated, too brainwashed to see reality.

At least it can be said that about half of voters are not so profoundly screwed-up. At least they have a head on their shoulders. But we are still in a deplorable situation. Neither of the two major Parties can manage to find a way to lead, but we continue to re-elect them. Every time.

Churchill: "The best argument against democracy is a 5-minute conversation with the average voter."
  • Ain't that the truth!
  • I really don't know what to make of someone who cannot see the founding fathers were the "woke" of their generation.
  • edited May 11
    Under “Things to Know”

Stock the liquor cabinet in advance. Try to be out of the country if you can arrange it (preferably nowhere on the North American continent).