Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• MJG August 2017
  • Ted August 2017
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fees Exacerbated A Lost Decade For Active Managers

FYI: (This is a follow-up article)
Active investing is mired in a lost decade, but the costs associated with fund and account managment has contributed to widespread underperformance.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.fa-mag.com/news/fees-exacerbated-a-lost-decade-for-active-managers-34171.html?print

SPIVA Scorecard:
http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/34707/spiva-u-s-scorecard-the-whole-enchilada#latest

Comments

• MJG
    edited August 2017
    Hi Guys,

For a long time now, I've been fascinated by the research summarized in the biannual SPIVA reports. That fascination helps me in making asset allocation and active/passive investment decisions. You too just might find the SPIVA studies a useful addition to your data when making your portfolio decisions.

The references provided in this thread have been superseded by a more recent SPIVA release that includes all 2016 data. Here is a Link to that report:

https://us.spindices.com/documents/spiva/spiva-us-year-end-2016.pdf

The numbers change, but the basic conclusion remains unchallenged. Active fund management is a difficult chore when it's success is measured against a realistic benchmark.

This end of 2016 SPIVA report now includes 15 year data summaries. These extended timeframe data sets reinforce the conclusion of just how daunting beating a benchmark really is.

In very general terms, in all fund categories, less than 20% of active fund managers outdistanced their benchmarks. That's depressing unless an investor was prescient enough to anticipate that successful cohort early in any cycle.

The SPIVA document also has category charts for 3-year periods. Over that shorter timeframe, a higher fraction of fund managers do deliver outsized outcomes but the percentages change dramatically over various .3-year periods. Investing is never easy and certainly never a certainty.

Please access this SPIVA research report. It will contribute to your investment toolkit and decision making in a positive way.

Best Regards
  • TedTed
    edited August 2017
    @MJG: "
    "The references provided in this thread have been superseded by a more recent SPIVA release that includes all 2016 data. Here is a Link to that report:" Just to be clear, the SPIVA data from both of my links is from 12/31/16.
    regards,
    Ted
  • Hi Ted,

You're absolutely on-target. Sorry I missed that obvious point. I need a second, no a third, cup of coffee. Thanks for your correction.

Best Wishes