Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Campaign To Get Joe Kernen Off "Squawk Box"

edited April 2014 in Off-Topic
I say we start a grass roots movement.

He provides some of the most biased reporting on the air.

In an age where opinion is taken for information, he's the poster child.

Worse every time I catch the show.

Probably just wishful thinking, but I swear today it appeared as if Becky Quick and Andrew Sorkin were looking at him like he was on planet Mars, after his never ending railing against current administration.

Would be breath of fresh air to see him move on...

To something bigger and better =).

Comments

• Nobody makes me reach for the clicker quicker! :-)
  • Back in the day (late ‘90s), Joe was my man.
    The very mention of a tech stock from his lips was enough
    for me to buy it immediately – the very next minute.
    Ten to fifteen minutes later I sold it for a nice profit.
    Of course, you didn’t dare hold that stock any longer because
    it dropped like a rock.
    I stopped listening to CNBC many years ago so I don’t know
    or care what Joe is like these days.

Charles, try Bloomberg.
  • CNBC or Bloomberg... The personalities all systematically misconstrue and mischaracterize all of reality, particularly economic news. It is in the warp and woof of their financial-speak. Because their point of view is that of the wealthy, and predictably but sadly, the connection between money and its ethical or unethical uses is never mentioned. The underlying assumption is that Greed is good. (Gordon Gecko.) That's all you'll ever get...... And Joe Kernan? Makes my blood boil.
  • I Have Not Watched CNBC In Years, And I Dont Miss It!
  • edited April 2014
    lol. I'll provide a different view.

- Joe Kernan is the funniest thing about CNBC. I've never seen a bigger instance in media of someone who's been doing something for ages, has gotten beyond the point of boredom and is now having tantrums because, well, why not. He throws one-liners at Sorkin that either sail over Sorkin's head or leave Sorkin looking as if he wants to throw a comeback but is confused at how to do so.

What they COMPLETELY should do is change up "Squawk" entirely and bring in Josh Brown and former CNBC host and general nutcase Jeff Macke. THAT would be a great show. Heck, bring in Macke and his former "Fast Money" host Dylan Ratigan. There's a lot of great possible choices they could do, none they probably will. CNBC needs to shake things up and make some bold choices at bringing in talent rather than watching on-air talent go elsewhere, the most notable recent case being Bartiromo heading to Fox.

Becky Quick just sits there looking way more done-up than she used to - the hair used to not be that big nor that blonde (and looked better.) Personally, I recommend looking at Squawk Box like the joke it is (and it really has to be, because Sorkin - as much as I really liked his book - should not have been the choice to replace Carl Quintanilla.)

You think Kernan is right wing, you should have seen when his daughter was on promoting the book ("Your Teacher Said What? Defending Kids From the Liberal Assault on Capitalism") they worked on together.

If someone is right wing or left wing on the media, who cares. Everything is biased. People have their own opinions. People's political views will just continue to divide the country - people are entitled to their own opinion but they're never going to listen to the other side when it comes to politics.

Bloomberg is better but a little on the dry side.
  • TedTed
    edited April 2014
    @Charles: Firmly place this device in one hand and press the off button, usually red.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited April 2014
    Ted said:

@scott: Firmly place this device in one hand and press the off button, usually red.
    Regards,
    Ted

I'm not the one complaining about it.
  • You guys are so entertaining that I don't even know what channel to dial for CNBC.
  • edited April 2014
    I agree. Kernen is comic relief. Fartiromo already gone but the smell still lingers. But no. No one will say a word about Phoney Honey.
  • CNBC is in free fall. Becoming unwatchable.
  • Scott, that is a brilliant idea: Josh Brown and Jeff Macke. They are smart and funny. The current CNBC Squawk lineup is unbearable. I despise Sorkin almost as much as Kernen (though for different reasons), and Becky Quick is utterly pointless.
  • @Crash
    You noted: "CNBC or Bloomberg... The personalities all systematically misconstrue and mischaracterize all of reality, particularly economic news. It is in the warp and woof of their financial-speak. Because their point of view is that of the wealthy, and predictably but sadly, the connection between money and its ethical or unethical uses is never mentioned. The underlying assumption is that Greed is good. (Gordon Gecko.) That's all you'll ever get...... And Joe Kernan? Makes my blood boil."

This in particular: "It is in the warp and woof of their financial-speak. Because their point of view is that of the wealthy, and predictably but sadly, the connection between money and its ethical or unethical uses is never mentioned."

>>>Not directed at you or your thoughts about what may or may not be an ethical investment; but our house invests towards and for the future and in particular; to the ability to expand the educational experiences of all household members. Because we have been excellent with our personal budget over many years and have invested; our daughter has been able to have learning experiences that will help her become a better person. These learning experiences would not have been possible without the profitable side of our investments.
    As we generally do not have single company stock investments; we give way to whatever a mutual fund may hold internally for its choices. One may suppose that a pure ethical investment could be a company like Kellogg. Heck, our house would be supporting a Michigan company, too ....all the better. I imagine that there are those who would think that even this company isn't ethical enough; with an arguement that the company profits are too high, or some such statement.
    I have wandered too far off of this thread; but, whether one agrees or diagrees with anything tv business programs or any other investment publication of any form, I don't expect the mainstream tv programs to pronounce about ethics of investing and too whom (the wealthy) their programming is targeted. I watch a bit of Bloomberg as time allows, but have not viewed CNBC or FOX for a very long time.
    Well, anyhoo; we invest.....period.

Take care of you and yours,
    Catch
  • edited April 2014

Scott, that is a brilliant idea: Josh Brown and Jeff Macke. They are smart and funny. The current CNBC Squawk lineup is unbearable. I despise Sorkin almost as much as Kernen (though for different reasons), and Becky Quick is utterly pointless.

Thanks - yeah, I mean CNBC really does need to start taking risks. Brown and Macke are funny and dynamic personalities that would be great for a morning show. Bringing back Ratigan and having him instead of Quick effectively be the "moderator" would be a show I'd watch every morning. It's not likely going to happen, but that would be a great show.

Again, I have some respect for Sorkin - I did really like the book (Too Big To Fail), but he's not a good fit for TV. Kernan doesn't look like he wants to be there, even and Becky Quick has largely been sidelined in the morning by the other two.

The other person on CNBC who I think is underrated is Guy Adami, who's funny in a more subtle way at times on Fast Money.

I'd also say get rid of "Mad Money", but that'll never happen. I actually do think Cramer in the morning isn't bad.

Kudlow's show is going.

I've actually gotten to like "The Profit" a lot (not sure if anyone watches it) and that's gotten better in the second season. I'd be interested in seeing a business series with Marcus Lemonis from "The Profit", as well as maybe one or two people from CNBC and maybe a rotating guest (Kevin O'Leary from "Shark Tank" has been amusing on CNBC lately in guest spots) and they can discuss businesses from different aspects/angles rather than simply whether the stock is going up/down.

I'd love for a series that has a different CEO/guest host every day and that CEO discusses a bit of the behind-the-scenes of the company and industry and goes over some examples of challenges that they've faced and how they overcame those obstacles.
  • TedTed
    edited April 2014
    @catch22: I agree, you sure did wander !
    Regards,
    Ted
    Wanderer: Dion:
  • catch22 said:

@Crash
    You noted: "CNBC or Bloomberg... The personalities all systematically misconstrue and mischaracterize all of reality, particularly economic news. It is in the warp and woof of their financial-speak. Because their point of view is that of the wealthy, and predictably but sadly, the connection between money and its ethical or unethical uses is never mentioned. The underlying assumption is that Greed is good. (Gordon Gecko.) That's all you'll ever get...... And Joe Kernan? Makes my blood boil."

This in particular: "It is in the warp and woof of their financial-speak. Because their point of view is that of the wealthy, and predictably but sadly, the connection between money and its ethical or unethical uses is never mentioned."

>>>Not directed at you or your thoughts about what may or may not be an ethical investment; but our house invests towards and for the future and in particular; to the ability to expand the educational experiences of all household members. Because we have been excellent with our personal budget over many years and have invested; our daughter has been able to have learning experiences that will help her become a better person. These learning experiences would not have been possible without the profitable side of our investments.
    As we generally do not have single company stock investments; we give way to whatever a mutual fund may hold internally for its choices. One may suppose that a pure ethical investment could be a company like Kellogg. Heck, our house would be supporting a Michigan company, too ....all the better. I imagine that there are those who would think that even this company isn't ethical enough; with an arguement that the company profits are too high, or some such statement.
    I have wandered too far off of this thread; but, whether one agrees or diagrees with anything tv business programs or any other investment publication of any form, I don't expect the mainstream tv programs to pronounce about ethics of investing and too whom (the wealthy) their programming is targeted. I watch a bit of Bloomberg as time allows, but have not viewed CNBC or FOX for a very long time.
    Well, anyhoo; we invest.....period.

Take care of you and yours,
    Catch

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Thanks for responding, Catch. More precisely, I meant to say that there isn't anything more vitally connected to money than Ethics, and vice-versa. The "money shows," however, deliberately divorce the two, and for them, it would cause earth and heaven to explode for anyone to even dare to assert on their air what I have just asserted. For them, Gordon Gecko was right.

Ethical investments? The various filters used by "socially responsible" mutual funds are well-intended. What they are trying to do is risible, though--- because nothing can fix the fact that injustice is inherent within capitalism, at every level, whether you speak of wages or profits, unions or M & A. Capitalism, here in the USA, is the only game in town. In broad, hyperbolic terms: "Those corporations all own each other," anyhow. Making your own life better via the Markets ipso facto requires any and all of us to take advantage of the built-in unethical aspects of the System. I'm an investor, so I do it, too. In short, ALL the money's dirty.
  • I am heartened to see that I am not alone in my opinion of joe kernan. He is supposed to be journalist/on air host, not a tea party spokesman. He takes every opportunity to blame the current administration for everything from a snowy winter to stock market gyrations. Of course the republicans have never been in power when the markets have tanked. Could never happen:)
  • I think Kernan would feel more at home on FOX Business with Stuart Varney and Charles Payne. FOX Business is like FOX News with a stock ticker on the bottom of the screen.
  • I Liked Carl Quintanilla, Where Did He End Up?? He Came Across As Very Likeable.
  • TedTed
    edited April 2014
    @Joe Kernan: Well Joe, you've seen the comments that accuse you of being a right-wing tea party nut. Some MFO members want to give you a good flogging, or boil you in oil, or maybe draw and quarter you, but not me, I stand beside you. Say all these comments about you aren't true.
    Regards,
    Ted

Say It Ain't So Joe: Roger Daltrey:
  • edited April 2014
    ducrow said:

I Liked Carl Quintanilla, Where Did He End Up?? He Came Across As Very Likeable.

Wasn't he on the Today Show on weekends? Not sure if that's still the case.
  • All you guys are reminding me how much I don't miss not watching TV. Thanks!
  • his never ending railing against current administration

Sounds like this site is mostly made up of liberals. And liberals are all for expressing your views and having a voice.....EXCEPT when they don't agree with liberal views.

I don't watch the show and don't care, but all you liberals just made my mind up. I won't use this site anymore.
  • @clemg64: No, you can leave me alone on the MFO Discussion Board surrounded by communist's.
    Regards,
    ted
  • clemg64...don't let politics cloud your investment decisions.
  • edited April 2014
    communist's
    Not possessive, simply plural: "communists", no apostrophe.

Signed:
    One of the commies.
  • edited April 2014
    I'm mostly following Flight 370. Aside from the human tragedy, it's a real-life mystery & technology story of epic proportions. OOPS - how does FAUX News get away with blaming the plane's disappearance on "Obamacare"? Now that's some fancy footwork (thanks to some retired general they brought in).

Like CNN and most of the others, CNBC tracks the every click of your remote. Enough people tune Kernen out whenever his face appears and he'll soon be mince-meat.

And that Angus Houston, the Retired head of the Australian Air Force who's heading up the search efforts, is one cool, competent and impressive dude. We could use a few like that in this country.

Oh - Did I stray off topic? Pardon me!

• @Old Joe: Now are you happy comrade, now you have something to talk about at your next cell meeting.
    Regards,
    Ted

The Red Menace: Cell Meeting:
  • edited April 2014
    All Hail Marx and Lennon!!!

Sorry...can't figure out how to post a picture...
  • Seems to me that this site should not be used for gratuitous partisanship. If you have a problem with Joe Kernan from a competence standpoint, that's one thing. But if you want to get him fired because you object to his political philosophy, I advise you to turn the dial to a station where all the commentators agree with you (it has 5 initials). As for me, I like the give and take between Kernan and Ross-Sorkin.
  • I don't complain, I just don't watch for many reasons.