Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

I need a top performing International or World fund which lost < 30% during the 2008 crisis

I currently own ARTGX and FMIJX. Any ideas?

Comments

• Off the top of my head, SGENX, which lost about 21% during 2008. It is considered a more defensive fund compared to others.
  • ARTKX is close with 30.11% loss, but you already own ARTGX managed by the same managers.
  • @willmatt72: thanks, I didn't realize I could buy SGENX at Fidelity without their customary load.
  • Yes, indeed. Fidelity and Vanguard removed many of the TF and loads about a year or so ago. Maybe longer.
  • I added SICNX last year. Already I own MINIX (closed). I've added to Emerging markets, equity and bonds.
  • mrc70 said:

ARTKX is close with 30.11% loss, but you already own ARTGX managed by the same managers.

Is ARTKX open again? It's been closed to new investors for years, and M* still shows it that way. Recent announcement?

• TedTed
    edited February 2018
    @BrianW & MFO Members: Althought it wasn't around in 2008, I highly recommend MGGPX. I just purchased some more C shares MSOPX today.
    Regards
    Ted
    M* Snapshot MGGPX:
    http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=MGGPX&region=usa&culture=en_US
  • @Ted, Goldman Sachs does have some nice funds, I have their MSEGX, which seems to have similar returns, but with less International. Not an easy ride at times, but rewarding.
  • @Slick: You mean Morgan Stanley does have some nice funds ?
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited February 2018
    Oops right . I do have one GS fund subadvised by Jain which I added recently. Must have not had enough coffee this am.
  • ARTKX is closed.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice: Thanks for the input.
  • edited February 2018
    Re HSIEX. I’m missing something here. Lipper scores it lowest (1) on: Total Return, Consistent Return and Expenses. (But rates it highest (5) for Preservation). Shows a negative return for 3 years. What’s to like here?
    Maurice said:

I guess what I'm saying is that maybe your criterion is not realistic.

There ya go. I was wondering the same thing. T. Rowe’s Spectrum International (PSILX) lost over 40% in ‘08 or I would have nominated it. Not exactly what you’d call an aggressive fund. International funds generally got hit harder than domestic in ‘08.

• MSFBX lost 29.05% in 2008 and is load-waived at Fidelity.
  • @carew388: interesting fund. Similar performance with ARTGX (along Growth leaning).
  • @carew388: the only issue is I can't be sure the same Managers who got it through 07-09 period are still there. It is managed by committee and several members have left.
  • @carew388: it will take a while to research all of the Managers, but thanks for an interesting fund.
  • carew388 said:

MSFBX lost 29.05% in 2008 and is load-waived at Fidelity.

This group was previously led by the folks that now run Independent Franchise Partners.
  • @JoJo26: Can you provide more details? You mentioned they were previously led. The purpose of my request is to research who was responsible for the 2008 performance.
  • Hassan Elmasry, Michael Allison, Jayson Vowles, Paras Dodhia (left IFP in 2015)
  • @JoJo26: Thanks for the information.
  • I misread 2008 crisis as 2008 calendar year. The SGENX SGOVX allocation funds had maximum drawdowns of 32.6 and 32.1 respectively, even with their allocations to bonds and gold, so I would be curious to know which international/world funds bettered that performance.
  • msf
    edited February 2018
    M* reports a drawdown for SGENX of 36.3% (5/19/08 - 3/6/09), or if you want to keep it within 2008, a drawdown of 34.9% (5/19/08 - 11/20/08).

Here's the cumulative return chart for the wider range (you can mouse over to get returns for shorter periods).

FWIW, Yahoo Finance closing and adjusted closing prices for these dates are:
    05/19/08: $46.50 ($32.31 adjusted)
    11/20/08: $30.21 ($21.03 adjusted)
    03/06/09: $27.59 ($20.61 adjusted, after div of $2.453 on 12/17/08)

Give or take rounding error of 0.1%, the Yahoo and M* figures match.

MFO may have different (smaller) drawdown figures because of differences in defining "drawdown". I just sort of eyeballed it, looking for the highest (not last) peak before a general downward trend. Likewise, I looked for the lowest (not earliest) trough before a general upward trend. Shorten the period by using a later peak and earlier trough and the drawdown will be less.

Regardless, SGENX dropped about 35% between May and November 2008 - whether you want to consider that one drawdown or a sequence of drawdowns. And it lost even more over the stretch from May 2008 to March of 2009.

P.S. I assumed that a 30% calendar year loss was intended as a proxy for a higher maximum acceptable loss (e.g. 3/8 or 37.5%) over the full decline (from Spring 2008 to Spring 2009). I'm not aware of "real" funds (e.g. excluding MMFs, Treasuries, and such) that declined less than 30% overall.
  • As pointed out, my requirements were flawed. However, I have received two funds out of this conversation to look at further, SGENX and MSFBX.
  • @Mark: OGINX was down -42.11 in 2008 alone.