Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Posting Links of no informative value

Hey all,,,, let's use a bit of discretion about the links we post. For instance,,, the linkster shared with us a link that informed us that the markets were down today. I would contend that that particular link has no value to this crowd. 100% of MFO readers ALREADY KNEW THE MARKETS WENT DOWN TODAY! Why take up space with links that add nothing to the board.

Comments

• Hi Larry, you can always choose to ignore the link. The Linkster provides more value to the website than many others, so let's be thankful that we have him to provide us with news, or things to ignore !
  • Agreed. At least hes' providing value. And, I for one am thankful.
  • edited February 2018
    Its a message board dominated by 1 poster. Very heavy-handed and squashes outside interest.

LarryB, did you make a large contribution to MFO? Otherwise your comments will fall on deaf ears.

Shades of a Trump society.

Adding "value" would be a few posts per day, not a constant barrage of noise.
  • Hey all,,,, let's use a bit of discretion about the links we post...Why take up space with links that add nothing to the board.
    Addding "value" would be a few posts per day, not a constant barrage of noise.
    Discretion by who's scale, yours? Value is in the eye's of the beholder. Ted's "supply" of articles certainly does add value. I can't judge too many or not enough for everyone here. Posters certainly can pick and choose from the wide assortment. I certainly don't need another poster deciding for me which articles add value or not. And Ted's comments (which I think may be the real basis of your post)? He and I agree very little on a social-political base. But I've been around long enough to know his personality is reactionary and to stir the pot. So be it. We are all different.

And on a good note... it's Super Bowl day.. "GO EAGLES".
  • @larryB: :( JoeD: :( MikeM: :)
    Regards,
    Ted
  • MikeM said:

And on a good note... it's Super Bowl day.. "GO EAGLES".
    I've got the Eagles (+6.5) parlayed with a 50.5 under.
  • lots of >$1M bets made, I heard on the radio, so some major payouts

Eagles sure were the better team tonight
  • lots of >$1M bets made, I heard on the radio, so some major payouts

Eagles sure were the better team tonight

"Sure were?" The game was up in the air until the last few mins.
  • They just seemed to be having their way from the getgo, mostly; of course I know it was close. But not as much as it looked. Pats could not stop the run, either JA or Blount, and JA was amazing. Eagles' D kept Pats run stifled, for its part. Most of the Pats afterward said as much, about not being to get going and get their typical game going, if you watched the post interviews (maybe available chiefly in Boston area). Discouraging to sit through, but good on Philly.
  • The best part about it was the Officials made sure they didn't decide the game, unnecessarily.
  • They just seemed to be having their way from the getgo, mostly; of course I know it was close. But not as much as it looked. Pats could not stop the run, either JA or Blount, and JA was amazing. Eagles' D kept Pats run stifled, for its part. Most of the Pats afterward said as much, about not being to get going and get their typical game going, if you watched the post interviews (maybe available chiefly in Boston area). Discouraging to sit through, but good on Philly.

Neither team had a good defense, with Brady torching the Eagles for more than 500 yards passing with 3 TDs. The game really hinged on just a couple plays at the end. The Eagles eating up the clock in the 4th with that extended drive (terrible defense by NE) and Brady getting strip sacked near the end. Up to that point, the outcome was in question. Philly made a few more plays than NE. The Pats defense was about as bad as I've seen from that team in many years.
  • But I think the chief reason for that was the Eagles' O.

Yes, lots of yardage, lots of points.

I hope you saw the responses to Gisele's 6yo point about her spouse's catching ....

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/02/04/tom-brady-drop-gisele-husband-cant-catch
  • TedTed
    edited February 2018
    @MFO Members: Congratulations Eagles !
    Regards,
    Ted
    Fly Eagles Fly: The Philadelphia Eagles Fight Song

• But I think the chief reason for that was the Eagles' O.

Yes, lots of yardage, lots of points.

I hope you saw the responses to Gisele's 6yo point about her spouse's catching ....

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/02/04/tom-brady-drop-gisele-husband-cant-catch

Philly was the 4th ranked defense in the NFL in 2017, which makes Brady's numbers all the more ridiculous - 505 yards passing, 3 TDs and 115 passer rating. LOL ! Foles is a better receiver, I'll give him that. If not for Brady and a few other players on offense, this would have been a blow out.

Philly's offense was ranked 7th in the NFL in 2017 - pretty good but not great. Giving up 41 points to that offense is unacceptable. Hence, the loss.
  • Right, but my point is that this was a rather better showing for their O than the norm, no?, by my read of the data
  • Right, but my point is that this was a rather better showing for their O than the norm, no?, by my read of the data

Agreed, I think the Eagles offense outperformed and the Pats defense underperformed. I don't think it helped that Butler sat on the sideline for the entire game. That's a story for another day.
  • Waiting for it to come out, as it probably will (further) at some point. Size difference cited for first half, also lingering illness, but the second half decision was not good. Bademosi's work not so good always.
  • Waiting for it to come out, as it probably will (further) at some point. Size difference cited for first half, also lingering illness, but the second half decision was not good. Bademosi's work not so good always.

Even one of the Eagles assistant coaches was quoted as calling it a "crazy" move. BB took responsibility for the decision. Even the most die-hard Pats fans are having a hard time digesting the mumbo jumbo that Matt Patricia was dishing last night.
  • All in all, my second favorite team won... any one playing the patriots.
  • a widely held sentiment, that