Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

First Pot ETF In US Starts Trading: (MJX)

FYI: esterday was the first day of trading for the U.S. ETF industry’s first pot-focused fund. The ETFMG Alternative Harvest ETF (MJX) was, up until the day after Christmas, focused on Latin American real estate companies and traded under the ticker LARE.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.etf.com/sections/daily-etf-watch/first-pot-etf-starts-trading

Comments

• edited December 2017
    Many of the pot stocks in this ETF have been on an absolute tear the last 3 or 4 months. Canopy Growth (TWMJF) was up 12% yesterday (12.27) and is up another 6% today, perhaps due to this new ETF starting on 12.26. This sector is still incredibly speculative. Many of the top holdings in this ETF are traded OTC with nosebleed p/e's. Kinda tough to value these companies as the pot market in Canada and elsewhere simply can't be valued just yet. An intriguing space to follow though ...
  • Here is an interesting video from Canada's BNN (Can't ignore the growth):

https://www.bnn.ca/can-t-ignore-the-growth-canopy-forces-bay-street-to-take-notice-1.953896
  • Gotta wonder if some stoner will be doing the stock selecting. Still as you say, it's intriguing.
  • I sometimes suspect some of the posters here are stoned.
    Mark said:

Gotta wonder if some stoner will be doing the stock selecting. Still as you say, it's intriguing.

• I sometimes suspect some of the posters here are stoned.
    I agree Hank. I went to invest in this ETF, but once I got into my account I forgot why I was there. Started laughing uncontrollably while staring at the different color lines on the charts. That gave me the munchies, so I opened up a bag of chips and spilled them all over the key board. Hmm, that made me think, can the Bills actually make the playoffs this year? ... What were we talking about?
  • edited December 2017
    @hank & MikeM - thanks for the laughs. FWIW - I are. Too flippin' cold outside to do much else.

BTW Mike, you're suspect. You know too much about the process to be a virgin.

p.s. edited to add that I too went to assess an investment in MJX but decided to wait a bit to see if it comes down from it's high. Me too to be prudent about the whole thing.
  • edited December 2017
    x
  • I don't know. I live in a legal state and, even near the University, the strip mall weed shops seem to have very low volume traffic. I confess this confuses me and makes me wonder if, somehow, part of the allure is illegality.
  • Amen OJ or should I say far out. I don't remember. Must be nap time.