Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Are You Buying ... Selling ... and/or Pondering? (April & May 2017)

1235»

Comments

• edited June 2017
    Old_Joe said:

@willmatt72- Do I hear a faint chortling sound coming from somewhere near Chicago? :)

Yes, I heard it, too. He took a little time away from yelling at those kids for throwing the ball into his yard;-)Incidentally, I did sell for a gain but I'm trying to pare down my portfolio without incurring high CGs. That's been one of my concerns over the past year or so. Mr. Tax Man.
  • Long thread but I don't think I've seen the etf IGV mentioned. It's a sector etf focused on N. American software companies with Oracle, Adobe, and Salesforce.com amongst its largest holdings. I've held this etf since Feb. and have added on pullbacks. Originally a satellite holding, I've increased my number of shares to where it's a "regular" holding, comparable to other funds I hold. It's volatile due to the focus on one sector, but I'll stick with it as I think this sector has much further to run.:)
  • edited June 2017
    I sold my THQ position from my Roth yesterday. Reason, diversifying away from direct exposure to health care @ the moment ... I had the sell order open for several months, btw.

I have a shopping list of stocks I want to own / add to, but @ the moment, nothing much looks interesting or has come close to my buy prices or desired valuations yet.
  • About the time I sold out of my biotech fund, I switched some money over to IHI in fall when it was in the low 130s. I started to think I should add more when it hit 150, then kept waiting for a pullback as I watched it go past 160. Still waiting to add, I felt as if I was chasing at 165. Will add if it comes back down a bit LOL.
  • edited June 2017
    Hi @PopTart and others,

In the past the thread ran for a monthly period and at times there were some good discussions in progress as the month came to an end . In opening a new thread it cut the discussion off so I thought I'd try running the thread for a quarter at a time and make it more seasonally based. This month has indeed had a lot of comment activity. With this, should those that have made comments feel a monthly based thread is better over the seasonally (quarterly) based one I am open to returning to a monthly based one. But, first let's see how this works out. Feel fee to make comment on monthly based vs. seasonally based format.

The most current thread covers a period for the whole Summer of 2017 and was opened on June 1st.

Skeet
  • edited June 2017
    Thanks Skeet. I prefer a monthly format as a quarterly thread would likely become very lengthy. I'll also fence-sit and suggest a continuation of this bi-monthly format.

Give the quarterly version a try (as you're doing) and see how it works, but it already seems to be getting lengthy and we're not yet out of June.

Happy weekend!
  • I revisited this older thread only in order to publicly ask someone if they had ever bought a particular fund, where it had been discussed
  • @davidmoran. I did not buy any DLEUX, but I did establish a position in MOTI, the confrère of MOAT.
  • tnx, will look into both. Not really keen on foreign investment anymore except for EM spec moneys. Sold FOSFX, causing it to rise nicely, naturellement.
    Must check how MOAT compares with CAPE (also NOBL, DVY, OUSA, SCHD, etc.).
  • @davidmoran: Looking back to our short discussion in June, I am pleased with the choice of MOTI and MOAT. Both of these ETFs have out performed the DoubleLine domestic and foreign OEFs for 2016 and 2017. MOTI is Asia-centric and DLEUX is Europe, so the comparison is a bit stretched. In Large Blend, MOAT is in the first percentile this year. I still have a big position in DSENX also. Cheers.
  • tyvm for checking in and reporting!
  • @MFO Members: Said good bye to an old friend yesterday afternoon. Sold PFF, that I bought in March of 2009 for $16.99, @ $38.53 with an annual yield of 6%.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • A moment of silence...
  • @BenWP: 211% cumulative return type of silence.
    Regards,
    Ted:)
  • @Ted, I have a similar investment in a mutual fund CPXAX which I bought about 8 months ago, seems to be a keeper. I think that I originally looked at it one time when you mentioned PFF and I liked it just a bit more. But thanks for the introduction to this class.
  • TedTed
    edited November 2017
    @slick: Although, there is not as much capital appreciation as 2007, when I bought PFF, preferred stocks and funds are still an excellent source for steady income.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @MFO Members: Just put in a short on CHKP @$117, earnings after bell will disappoint.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @MFO Members: Shares of firewall vendor Check Point Software Technologies (CHKP) are down $8.72, over 7%, at $108.99, in late trading, after the company narrowly beat Q3 expectations, but forecast revenue this quarter well below consensus because of a sales force restructuring.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • sounds like insider info at work:)
  • Sorry to see an old friend (PFF) depart.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice: Very funny ! I'm laughing all the way to the bank, covered short at $109.20 in after-hours trading.
    Regards,
  • Ted said:

@Maurice: Very funny ! I'm laughing all the way to the bank, covered short at $109.20 in after-hours trading.
    Regards,

youse da linkster tradester.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice: Maurice said, "I thought that these hours were only available to the pros." You thought wrong. The rules for extended-hours trading differ from the rules during normal trading hours. For example, with a Fidelity brokerage account, you can only place certain types of orders during extended hours trading—including buy, buy to cover, sell, or short-sale orders. Also, all orders must be limit orders. Orders in the pre-market session can only be entered and executed between 7:00 am and 9:28 am eastern time, and short sale orders are available only from 8:00 am to 9:28 am eastern time. Orders in the after hours session can be entered and executed between 4:00 pm and 8:00 pm eastern
    (Source Fidelity Website)
    Regards,
    Ted
  • I like a lot about MOAT but it lost a good amount relative to the market holding oil sticks while the barrel price went from 100 down to 30 and then selling them before the rebound. Consistent with their process, at the very least.
  • You are right @jlev. However, MOAT revised its methodology and expanded its holdings and has avoided since then the sort of value trap it fell into. I sold at that time but have bought back in.