Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

No. 1 Mutual Fund, Which Made A Killing Off Amazon And Tesla, Is Now Focused On These Stocks: PRGTX

FYI: Joshua K. Spencer of the T. Rowe Price Global Technology Fund has sold some big winners and says where he’s leading the fund now.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/no-1-mutual-fund-which-made-a-killing-off-amazon-and-tesla-is-now-focused-on-these-stocks-2017-06-19/print

Comments

• edited June 2017
    Excellent fund, which I own as my only direct tech sector exposure. Like that it's nicely global and more importantly, as I've said elsewhere in the past, doesn't hold the usual "top 10" tech companies like everyone else. In other words, it zigs when the rest of the industry zags -- I like that.

I just wish it paid out LTCGs during the year to help with accumulation DCA'ing. But that's a minor thing for an otherwise stellar growth/sector fund.
  • It may be surprising to a few on this board, but I never owned a tech fund throughout the current run up, so I missed out on that rally. I got burned by Janus Global Technology in the early 2000s and never went back to that sector. Gun shy, I believe.
  • edited June 2017
    Don't feel bad - while I didn't get burned by them directly, given the GFC and the sector's refusal to learn from its mistakes, because I don't trust them or their math, I refuse to own nearly anything from the banks or financial sector!

It may be surprising to a few on this board, but I never owned a tech fund throughout the current run up, so I missed out on that rally. I got burned by Janus Global Technology in the early 2000s and never went back to that sector. Gun shy, I believe.

• In previous 401k account, I held PRGTX, PRNEX, and PRLAX for an year or two during 2015-16. All 3 of them made money anywhere between 20 to 30% though insignificant portion of the overall portfolio. I had to sell all 3 of them, when moving to a new 401k account as part of acquisition of our employer by another company.

I planned to buy all 3 of them in other IRA accounts that I held at TDA, but procrastinated, and in no time they were up anywhere from 10-30% this year except for PRNEX. Now, I feel it is too late to buy them, especially PRGTX. (:-
  • Now, I feel it is too late to buy them, especially PRGTX. (:-
    Agree. I have a small allocation in my Roth IRA.